Busiest Airspace in USA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

Does anyone know what is the busiest place in the USA for low altitudes (GA)?

I heard DAB is, but I have heard some horror stories about SoCal flying.

I also have heard that the DAB, and ORL area is the busiest for GA traffic. It makes sense since we have ERAU (and the many other FBOs at DAB), ATA, Comair, and those are just to name the big places.

On top of that Central Florida has many smaller private airports, including Spruce Creek, and Jumble Air.

I believe SoCal is the busiest.

I saw somewhere that the top 3 GA airports are:

Van Nuys
Long Beach
Santa Ana

There is some single-runway GA airport south of Denver that I had thought was the busiest.

Addison (KADS) was one of the busiest for a long time but I think it has since dropped off. It's still very busy, though. I've had to hold short for 15-20 minutes on numerous occasions. I've never departed during "rush hour" but I have come in, once, during that time. Was VERY busy with a solid line of planes coming in and each of the three taxiway "queues" full of biz jets and small GA props.

Personally, I keep hearing VNY also...but SNA and LGB, hell, MOST of the airports around here are insane also. The entire LA Basin is scary sometimes.

Ravengirl

Orlando

ATC asked my flight school to schedule our IFR traffic outside of their peak periods because they ran out of controller positions! We're also getting our own call sign to help keep the radio chatter down a bit....hard to get a word in edgewise!

Orlando Class B also got a VOR-to-Nowhere approach for participating flight schools to help out the bizjet guys at ORL. We were saturating that poor airport, too.

Sanford, SFB now has 747s coming in from across the pond. Pretty wild seeing a 152 in trail of one of those beasts! At 9600', our lil' airport must look like a short field to one of those guys!

Hovernut, you should see me coming into MCO, the controllers are pretty nice and work me in, its kind of cool as you are riding down the ILS in IMC and all of the sudden a 10,000+ ft runway pops out of the clouds, that thing looks titanic to a pilot he thought that Daytonas 7L was long.

ORL is just plain nuts on a Saturday, I remember going there to get some pilot supplies, our return flight was to the glider port. The total flight was .7, the thing was the glider port was maybe 10 miles away.

Latest resources

Back