Burnt out nav light on Christmas Eve

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
vclean said:
Safety issue, I need to know now. Nav light, overhead pax light, static wick, etc, we discovered on post-flight.
That's easy for you to brag behind the mask of internet anonymity, but I'm betting you'd sing a different tune if Uncle Fed were following the FO on the preflight walk-around inspection.

It's not our perogative to invent our own rules where rules have already been clearly established. Certainly, where there is no clear-cut guidance, we must rely on our best judgment. But in the case of a NAV light, there is clear guidance available. Use it. Period.

===================================
"If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?"

“You cannot be disciplined in great things and indiscipline in small things.”

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men."

- General George S. Patton Jr

The question is how would you answer this question in an interview. You have to know why the interviewer is asking such a question in the first place. There is really no right or wrong answer but more of a "how does he answer the question". When I was interviewing pilots, and asked a question like the above mentioned scenerio, I would look for pilots who were really looking for ways to get the flight going. Would the applicant ask me if we had maintenance on the field; could we call a contract mechanic? Or would the applicant say "the plane would be grounded, end of story" with a harh rigid attitude. I saw both types but always liked the guy/gal that would ask me 10 questions hoping there was a way to get the plane on it's way and not strand/inconvenience any passangers. If nothing was available, they would be visibly discouraged but would tell me that the plane would have to be delayed until it was fixed. I liked that, they would not break any rules but had the right attitude. I knew right then and there that on the line, they would do what it took to get planes from point A to point B safely but using common sense and realizing that not everything works like clockwork or operates like a simulator checkride scenerio. You have to think outside the box sometimes on the line and the interviewer is only trying to get into your world of thinking when a scenerio is brought up in an interview like the one we discussed here. Good luck!

Turn the nav light switch off. That way they aren't burned out they are just off. Forget to turn them back on until landing. Then it burned out on landing. :)

Enjoy christmas with the family.

Stupid interview questions (as opposed to Letterman's Stupid Pet Tricks)

Safety is No. 1; regulatory compliance is No.1A. For the pax, the show must go on, one way or another.

I would first consult the MEL to see if I can fly without it. If I can, fine. If not, and maintenance is on the field, I would have it changed. If I cannot do that, assuming the airport is in Podunkville, I would ask the station agent to put the pax on the next Greyhound bus so they can be home for Xmas. If the airport is a hub or semi-hub, I'd consult with ops, with the objective of booking the pax on another flight or on Greyhound.

Last edited:
if its not night time - we're good to go.

if its only the white one, you're still Christmasy enough- the feds will let that slide.

if its the red one and your in a Lear, I feel comfortable using those little red ice light things on the dash.

but if its the green one - your done. go home. No Christmas for you - nor anyone else.

any good celebrity lawyer will tell you they're only required for flight anyhow - so you'll turn the so called "burned out" one on the moment you break ground.

these questions are stupid. Made up by dudes with no dates and no beer sitting around reading the FAR's playing what if. If that's what they want for a pilot, I don't want to play anymore. Arguing these interview questions is the whole special olympics analogy. Even if you win - you're still retarded.

I'd love to play more, but I need a beer. - a cheap one - just like I voted for in the beer poll.

happy new year folks...

fg

Latest resources

Back