Building Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Riddle momma

I am currently CFIng in California, but I am getting so tired stalls, slow flight, steep turns in a darn Tomahawk! Besides the fact that pay is practically non-existent, I really don't appreciate it when students just not show up.
Does anyone out there know of other than instructing jobs in the Bay Area?
Words of encouragement will help too.
Thanks

Network,network ,network yourself. Apply at any company you can find. Meet as many people as you can.....It will take time, lots of time..........
Good Luck
FD

If you let me borrow that Yak 54 you been flying you can come fly right seat in our King Air anytime

Riddle Momma,

I'm not one to talk because I've yet to have my first student. Let me say though that what I learned more than anything getting my CFI was that ALL the previous instructors I'd had including the one who I went through the CFI with didn't give a rip about teaching or know how to teach. I'm not saying you are this way but if your not having fun then I'll bet the student isn't and that is your fault. Make it fun and interesting for both of you. How, I don't know but I'll bet if you put more of yourself into it and try your best to do it right, make it fun. etc. you will be happier and so will your students. Anything is what you make of it. If you choose to make it fun, exciting, educational it will be. Make it your passion because your going to be there anyhow until the next job but don't let the next job be your focus. Try it and see.

RT

hayward was hiring a traffic watch pilot just a little while ago. and theres a small airport north of that that seems to always be looking for a jump pilot. you need an MEI my friend, and a place in which to use it ;)

It's not just about MCA..

I haven't posted in a while because I, too, have been trying to keep busy flight instructing. I think the problem here is that you're looking at it as something you just can't get anything out of, but to do that, you will have to look outside of the box at the big picture. You are really in a business o dealing with people. People rent planes, people pay the "big" bucks so that you can possibly teach them how to fly. The CFI business, I'm learning is about how well you deal with people and how much confidence you can instill in your students. If students think that they are learning and making progress, they will want to fly every day. If your students fly every day, then you will not have to do this longer than you really want to.

The market right now sux the big wet sock. I was tallking to a Lear driver on the ramp (had a nice 25D) and he was telling me how he had been furloughed from Midwest Express and was **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** lucky to get his old charter job back. He said that many of his friends who were also let go were now working at Home Depot and would kill for my CFI job at the moment. That made me real glad to have the job that I have. At least I'm flying.

Try this. Look at your students as individuals. Take an interest in their goals as well. You will have a much better time and experience in teaching them how to fly because you will personally care that they do well. When they do well, you will feel proud of their accomplishments and you can take some of the credit that you helped to make it happen.

CFIing is some of the best experience you will ever be able to get.

~Flyer7sa

IASCO

propilot said:
Have you checked with IASCO(JAL) in Napa? It may be a drive, but the money would be worth it.

I was associated with them briefly ten years ago. Terrific money, terrific facilities, terrific equipment, nice place to live, but an extremely formidable and difficult company. Apply, but be prepared for a very tough situation. IASCO is not on my Top Ten (apologies to David Letterman).

You might try International Flight Training Academy (Air Staff, Inc.) in Bakersfield. Great money, great facilities, nice equipment and fair treatment. You are also training Japanese flight students and other foreign airline students, but, I understand, it is not fanatical as IASCO. I have a friend who worked there and liked it. I realize that Bakersfield is not the Bay Area, but you might like the company.

One other point. Count your blessings. Maybe you don't like hours and hours of steep turns, but at least you're turning a buck as a pilot and putting experience in your logboook. There are plenty of more experienced pilots than you who'd rather be flight instructing and staying in the air right now than worried about qualifying for WIA or what will happen when unemployment runs out. Ten years ago when I was a flight instructor, I always was proud of the fact that I was flying for a living and feeding myself while other, more experienced pilots from, e.g. Eastern and Pan Am, were not working and had no prospects.

Last edited:
NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK!!! I'm extremely lucky to have a job right now and as it's been going I've been "lucking" into slots left and right. believe it or not, it is STILL who you know. and BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME. seriously.

if you are lucky enought to land that CFI or CFII job, take it seriously. sure, you won't be making a gold mine as far as pay, but what else would you rather be paid to do? say this to yourself: "i am paid to fly" over and over and it will help you out tremendously.

take pride in you professionallism. i do. i've read how much the job market sux, but suck it up. if you can do this - instructing - and say that "i love being paid to do this" then keep at it. that's what's kept me going. stick with it. it'll pay off, no matter what the consequence.

for all intesive purposes, in case y'all may be wondering, my side job includes being a bartender manager, and that has paid off for the long winters that have been associated with the midwest. PM me if you have any questions.

eager to help....
-airnik

On a side note, hit up the local TV and radio news stations. We've been hit by some floods lateley, and currently I'm working on a promo for flying photographers. Worth a shot, don't you say?????

-Airnik

Latest resources

Back