• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Schwbo

I just got an update on my new FX-3 from CC
  • Your assigned Production Position number is 21-17
  • The aircraft configuration lock date is November 30th, 2020.
  • Your scheduled builder week in Yakima is January 4-8, 2021.
  • Your return certification visit is scheduled for April 12-13, 2021.
  • The actual delivery date depends a bit on the weather for completing the flight testing and engine break-in that time of year, but the aircraft should typically be ready for final delivery with any squawks cleared several weeks after your second visit.
It's now becoming real. I'm so excited!!!

In the next two months I need to take decisions regarding the configuration and get up to speed with all the options and what to include and do at CC and what to add later on.

The configuration as it stands right now is:
-FX-3 Base Aircraft w/CC363i
-Signature Paint w/Polytone
-Checkerboard Rudder
-G3X Executive GLASS Panel
-GTX 345R Transponder Upgrade
-Garmin Dual Axis Autopilot
-Garmin G5 digital AI
-Garmin GAP 26 Heated Pitot Tube
-Mid-Continent TA102 USB
ACME Suspension
29" ABW Tundra Tires (HD tread)
Oregon Aero Front Seat (fabric)
Oregon Aero Rear Seat (fabric)
25 Gallon (24 useable) Fuel Tanks
Carbon Pod (25 gallon) Fuel Tank
83" Trailblazer Prop Upgrade
Additional Snap Vents (2X)
Odyssey SBS-J16 Battery
Rear Seat 12V Outlet
Halon Fire Extinguisher
Bose A-20 Headsets (2X)
Headset Hooks (2X)

I'm a bit overwhelmed with information and stressed out about finalizing the configuration.

Would love to get input on the above.

Glad you got your dates and all the good info. As to the build and config, it's really your choice and your needs and desires. The things that stand out to me on your build are polytone as we discussed, Garmin G5 and Pitot Heat, not sure why you need those, and the carbon fuel pod unless you are customizing to not get the full 44gal capacity. My salesman was against modifying the fuel tank configuration for resale concerns which I agree. I personally will be getting the cargo pod from Carbon Concepts after delivery. Again, personal choices. I've decided not to go IFR as I don't want any thoughts of taking this into IMC, that could change tomorrow as it's already changed this week. I'm confident the G3X is all I need.

It's a lot to research, digest, and choose...good thing is we have time. Again, this is YOUR plane and for you to configure for YOU.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with information and stressed out about finalizing the configuration.

Would love to get input on the above.

You have time to digest the input of others. As you have seen just be very careful of making decisions around "the salesman said". Don't trust any of them as the final word.

I am not sure you were around at the beginning of the fuel tank discussion but when I bought my second Carbon Cub in 2014 they had just introduced the 44 gallon tank option. I put the 44 gallon option on my order sheet. The president of CubCrafters at the time, Randy Levold, called and advised me against the option. He was not happy with the design owing to the 30 lb hit on cabin load resulting from unusable fuel and adverse impact on roll stick forces. He said they added the option because of demand but in order to accommodate more fuel efficiently they needed to redesign the wing. Apparently instead of redesigning the wing, they just redesign the aileron system to handle the higher level lateral fuel to improve roll response. The 30 lb unusable fuel penalty remains. He suggested at that time to get the belly tank for those rare occasions when 24 gallons was not enough. I never did get one for the 2014. For the vast majority of my flying 24 gallons is more than enough. They have improved the belly tank design since then so I am getting one for my new SS. The only time I miss not having more than 24 gallons is on very long cross country flights. My butt is only good for about 2.5 hours of flying a cub at a time. But there are times out west where it is hard to find a good place to get fuel. Same will apply north of the 48 states. It is on those missions you want a belly tank.

By the way they did ultimately redesign the wing but only for the XCub. XCub appears to have three small tanks in each wing. I have not seen any unusable fuel numbers for the XCub.

I would not modify the wing tanks for resale concerns. You can put fuel tanks all the way to the wing tips but no one says you have to fill them. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the improved ailerons on the FX3. I will not be modifying this design personally. I may even carry fuel bags in the cargo pod as it can hold 4-5 5 gallon bags you can get from various vendors. Skycowboysupply seems best price.

I would not modify the wing tanks for resale concerns. You can put fuel tanks all the way to the wing tips but no one says you have to fill them. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the improved ailerons on the FX3. I will not be modifying this design personally. I may even carry fuel bags in the cargo pod as it can hold 4-5 5 gallon bags you can get from various vendors. Skycowboysupply seems best price.

Neil, we have covered this ground before. The 24 gallon tanks are standard, 44 gallon tanks are the half assed modification. They are an option for the EX-3 and can be deleted in favor of 24 gallons on the FX-3. Fuel bags are unsafe (they leak) and a royal pain in the ass to get up on top of the wing and get the fuel in the hole. To make the 44 gallon tank modification for the CC (SS or FX same system) they simply added 10 gallon tanks outboard of each 12 gallon tank. The problem is that the interconnect between the 12 gallon tank and the 10 gallon required it pass above a required wing rib. That placed the interconnect between two tanks above the lowest level of both the 24 and 10 gallon tank leaving residual fuel in the two outboard tanks that is not useable. I have heard in a pinch you can put the cub into a big slip get one wing high and drain some of that fuel but it is a tricky maneuver when the tanks are nearly dry.

There are so many things that can impact resale value. It simply is not the only test to make decisions.

I need to research this but heard that you can put the 44 gallon tanks without opening the fabric. You can just slip it in from the wing root.

I need to research this but heard that you can put the 44 gallon tanks without opening the fabric. You can just slip it in from the wing root.

The 24 gallon tanks are installed and covered with fabric. You can see that with my tanks in the wings below. The red airplane is an FX you can see the uncovered wing tanks on that airplane. The 44 gallon tank modification has aluminum plates covering the tanks on top of the wing. Removing the tanks for either tank option is a pain because they all have structural wires passing though the tanks in an enclosed tube that are part of the wing structure. Complicated old design dating back to the original Piper Cub.

My first Carbon Cub developed a leak from one of the tank welds. The airplane had to go back to the factory to take the wing apart in order to pull the tank and put in a new one. It was covered under warranty but a real pain to get aircraft back and forth.

1_final.jpg

Last edited:
I posted the scenario on the CubCrafters forum so we can open this discussion up to a wider audience.

After the first time the tanks are filled the unusable fuel is trapped. Does not matter if you don't fill the tanks all the way up usable fuel amount is the same.

This is the best image I have of the 44 gallon system used in the FX/SS. The two right side tanks are under the sand bag. You can see the fill port is on the 10 gallon tank that then cross feeds to the 12 gallon tank via a hose. The low point engine feed comes off the inboard 12 gallon tank in two places. It is a 4 tank system with interconnect. The inboard 12 gallon tank is the same used on the 24 gallon systems except for a flange connecting a tube to he outboard 10 gallon tank.

RH fuel tank install 07122018.jpg

Latest resources

Back