Broken Bones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyking1976

My latest injury (fractured clavicle) inspired a new poll. Since polls can't happen anymore, here goes...

What is the worst or most painful injury you have ever sustained. Could be broken bones, gunshot wounds, whatever. All I can say is that typing with one hand really sucks.
SK:cool:

I'll share two

skyking..tell us how?

Heres a couple of mine. Embarassing but true.
First is a story.

A few years back, after a significant snow event several of my buddies and I, girlfriends and beer in tow, headed to the local golf course for some drunken midnight sledding!
(insert:" wooooohoooo")

This course had a severe sloping hill on the 18th fairway...about 45- 60 degrees.....perfect for sledding. At the bottom was nice flat fairway....or so we thought. We arrived to find they had begun digging a new pond across the old fairway...no big deal. We would never have enough speed to reach the edge...right?
Wrong. After a couple hours and several passes...the packed snow let us cruise right up to the edge and over...only a 5 or 6 foot drop...but right into fluffy snow. As you can guess the "fluffy" snow became packed and rock hard...girls stopped short...but the guys couldn't resist ramping off the edge into the snow.

My decision making skill enhanced by a few hours of adult beverages....I decided it was time to head down the hill....you guessed it...head first. I was movin'. Hit the edge of the new pond....flew in the air and landed ribs first on a hard as rock lump of packed snow. Couldn't breathe. Eventually came around to my friends hollering at me as once you went into the pond...the top of the hill couldn't see you. Needless to say my night of sledding and drinking was over. The next morning I awoke to the most intense pain i've ever had. I couldn't breathe it hurt so bad. Turned out to be a broken rib...which is virtually untreatable. Pain....unbelievable pain...for weeks...every time I took a breath.

Second...bruised heel...sounds wimpy....very painful.
Metal spike on baseball cleats drove up through plastic sole when I stretched for first and hit the bag heel first. Man did that hurt.

W

Ouch!

I think that guy ran over me in intramural hockey!

A 280lb Samoan forward on skates!:D

Funny.

W

Speaking of skates...

This story is a good one, it contains personal injury as well as embarrasment!
Seeking to be the best rollerblader out there so that when we started playing street hockey again I would be able to skate circles around everyone, I decided to take advantage of an early warm streak and start practicing. Well, practicing alone is boring so I decided to go skate around the trails (glorified sidewalks, followed all the roads) around the neighborhood. I had on knee pads and those wrist protectors (supposed to prevent you from breaking your wrist). The wrist protectors come into play later. I was returning from my "skate" and was cruising right along. I happened to be coming up on the house of a particularly fine looking girl (I was a freshman in HS) and decided to jump off the sidewalk (slightly elevated) and across the 4 feet of grass and onto the street to impress her. I didn't even know if she was home, let alone looking out her window! I was an idiot! Anyway, I built up a ton of speed and just shy of my jumping point I hit a rock. Just a small rock but it sent me flying facefirst onto the pavement (still on the sidewalk). Well, I landed with one of my wrists under me and the wrist protecting piece of plastic jammed into my ribs. I knocked the wind out of me and was fighting to just get a breath without my ribcage feeling like someone had stuck me with a hot poker. "At least nobody saw" I thought to myself. WRONG! Hot girl AND her family were driving home and saw the WHOLE THING!! They stopped, made sure I was alright, loaded me into their car (with the whole family) and took me home. The whole 5 minute ride they were asking me if I was OK but I couldn't talk without making wheezing noises. It was pathetic. I had never talked to the girl before that day (she was new in town) and afterwords I never had the balls to talk to her.
Anyway, it ended up being a broken rib. That sucked. The funny thing is, if I hadn't been wearing those wrist protectors all I would have ended up with was a few cuts and scrapes.

I've broken my ribs twice, cracked my wrist, cracked my elbow, broken every finger except my left thumb (it's crooked, but never broken), broken my right big toe, broken my nose 3 times, broken the bones in my inner ear (it can happen, I was shocked too...luckily no permanent damage), I've got a knee and an ankle that are damaged to the point that surgery is the only way to fix them and the others aren't in mint condition either, the list goes on...
I'm 24 and I've already got worse arthritis in my hands than my 52 yr old Dad has. Most of the time it's not bad, but when we get humidity swings, man does it get ugly!

i broke an ankle playing basket ball, an arm riding a quad, and have had two knee surgeries from soccer, basket ball, and a football injury, wrecked a motorcycle but didn't get more than a wicked case of road rash...

but hey scars heal, glory fade...

I will also ring in and tell you my bone braking story, so hear me know and believe me later. When I was 18 I was rollerskating and decided to flirt with a girl on the other side of the rink. As I gave her my best cool man on skates wave, my feet came out from under me and I did the thing that is a no no but natural. I put my arm out behind me and my then 220 pound body fell on my arm from 6 feet high. I broke my arm and pinned a nerve when the bone broke and lodged ontop of the bone where it broke. Imagine a nerve being picnched and the doctor couldn't reset the bone because nobody was strong enough to reset it. I had to wait for a week before surgery finally fixed it. I laughed my ass off when a 165 pound doctor from china was trying to reset my bone. He said wow you big boy, I not strong enough you big strong.

How about having a navy doctor pull three wisdom teeth out with what seemed like a pair of pliers. Some local anesthetic was used, and a small prescription of tylenol III's were given.

The ride home from the naval hospital was really fun on the motorcycle with a mouth full of gauze and the wind blowing in on the wounds.

Greetings. I am new to the board. Interesting topic for an aviation board, but I'm game.

I am a football ref (no, I was not assaulted by spectators). After a long incomplete pass, when a colleague passed me the ball to place back on the line of scrimmage, I snapped a finger trying to catch it.

Not quite as graphic as the others injuries mentioned, but it still hurt like mad. Best part about it was that I had my middle finger splinted for a few weeks. Think of the possibilities...

Latest resources

Back