• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

British Airways belly flop captain.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Uh, that statement wasn't made by Captain "Twizzler Tickler," it was made by ANOTHER British pilot.

.....and it wasn't just something that was made up by a member of this board, it was all over the UK media in the immediate aftermath of this incident."

All over the UK media. Really? And yet not a single search engine on the internet that you care to mention turns that up at all. How remarkable!

Guys, feel free to tell me that I've got my head up my ass, or any other other scornful sarcasm that you want to pour out. It simply serves to prove my point...

Cheers!

In all fairness Harlequin, most of the posters on this board are working for American regionals, making a fraction of what the BA guys are and could never be considered for a job over there because they weren't born in the right country. Don't we have the right to take the piss out of our Euro counterparts from time to time?

If you don't think that British pilots have an unusually high ratio of pompous, arrogant, self-impressed pricks who believe themselves to be superior to others based on the extreme selectivity of their system and their wicked talents with an astrolabe, you either don't know any or you're one of them yourself.

Naturally, there are exceptions. Take for example Captain Twizzler Tickler...as far as I'm concerned those pictures are reason #2 he's a hero.

Don't we have the right to take the piss out of our Euro counterparts from time to time?

Absolutely. But when it comes to some alleged comment that can't be substantiated, then I draw the line. The pictures are hilarious, although for some person present at that crew party to sell them to the newspaper is a little sleazy in my opinion.

I don't object to a little poking fun. Lets just dispense with the "pompous British" BS.

Harlequin

"If you don't think that British pilots have an unusually high ratio of pompous, arrogant, self-impressed pricks who believe themselves to be superior to others based on the extreme selectivity of their system and their wicked talents with an astrolabe, you either don't know any or you're one of them yourself."

First prize goes to anyone who finds anything remotely objective in that statement...

I am an Americanized British Pilot. I don't believe I meet your criteria for British Pilots Harlequin, however I have met some bloody fantastic pilots from the UK and Europe, but among them there are also many who are the arrogant self righteous types. But where in the US Airline system are there not these types of self proclaimed "super" pilots???

All over the UK media. Really? And yet not a single search engine on the internet that you care to mention turns that up at all. How remarkable!

The only thing that's really remarkable is that you didn't see or hear the comment.

I checked, too, and found that most of the early stories have been removed, so, no, it's no surprise that you can't find a story with the quote.

Regardless, I don't know the dude who started this thread and you've got two people who don't know each other saying that they've both read the same thing.

The odds that we're just making this up are pretty thin.

Did you see my profile? I think that I have a little bit of credibility in this area when I tell you that the "British system is supreme to everyone" attitude runs rampant throughout the system among it's pilots.

It is this attitude of superiority that is responsible for many of the restrictive rules and regs of JAR and has helped to keep FAA licenses from meaning hardly anything to the JAA.

Don't get me wrong, here...I've met some damn good pilots and made some terrific British friends, but even a lot of them will tell you the same thing that I'm saying.

It's too bad that these "nose in the air" British pilots don't realize how their training system has broken down and is a skeleton of what it once was.

Another poster mentioned the "extreme selectivity" of the UK system.....let me tell you something, all it takes to get a frozen ATPL via a CAA school is to have rich parents. Talent and skill are not required.

Fail a CPL skills test?....just complain to the CAA. They'll side with the applicant the majority of the time and issue the license despite protests from the examiner.

The moral of the story is...don't worry about it. With a few more years of lax CAA standards, the British pilots won't even be able to believe themselves when they claim any sort of superiority.

Oh, and before you start firing back about American pilots.....I pretty much agree that there are a whole bunch of arrogant pricks in that group, too.

I'm one of 'em. :D

Last edited:
Looks like a typical ATR overnight...

Oh, and before you start firing back about American pilots.....I pretty much agree that there are a whole bunch of arrogant pricks in that group, too.

I'm one of 'em. :D

Especially the ones with Double Breasted Jackets.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back