• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bring Back People on furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With due respect and sympathy for your friend, I am certain he should be able to find something in this economy to pay the bills. It might not be flying, but Home Depot, Lowes, CostCo, etc, offer decent managerial track entry level positions. And not just those places, there are plenty of jobs, it just depends on how hard you want to work.
That's what I thought until applying to all those places you list. All the applications are done on the internet now. At Home Depot, all the apps go to HR in Atlanta, and they send to the stores the apps they feel will work the best. Getting face time with management won''t do you any good there. Costco is the same, but I was initially offered an interview to fold clothes from meeting one of the managers. That offer went away later. Sam's Club was on the list right after that. No manager would come to the service desk to speak with me, as I was told through the person working the desk they were going to be starting layoffs on 12/26. WalMart did pretty much the same thing, but face to face at least.

Here's my favorite. I applied for a CSR job with Signature in HSV. I've flown aircraft based there for years before getting on with the airlines / NJA. I know most of the people working in there. One of the managers told me they'd ask the HR people in Orlando to pull my app and to expect a call. I got one about a week later and was asked to take an online eval within 48 hours. The morning after taking it, I got an email saying I wouldn't get an interview as they had chosen candidates "more qualified". Calls to the local manager have gone unreturned, with his voicemail stating he's in the office all week.

On that note, for those of you who can, make Signature a minimum uplift / fuel around FBO. Apparently a pilot is good enough to buy gas from them, but not qualified to work the desk. Might just have to post this on the corporate forum as well.

Back to the original topic.... Fischman is dead nuts accurate on his statement.

Here's my favorite. I applied for a CSR job with Signature in HSV. I've flown aircraft based there for years before getting on with the airlines / NJA. I know most of the people working in there. One of the managers told me they'd ask the HR people in Orlando to pull my app and to expect a call. I got one about a week later and was asked to take an online eval within 48 hours. The morning after taking it, I got an email saying I wouldn't get an interview as they had chosen candidates "more qualified". Calls to the local manager have gone unreturned, with his voicemail stating he's in the office all week.

On that note, for those of you who can, make Signature a minimum uplift / fuel around FBO. Apparently a pilot is good enough to buy gas from them, but not qualified to work the desk. Might just have to post this on the corporate forum as well.

Back to the original topic.... Fischman is dead nuts accurate on his statement.

Are you kidding? I sympathize with your jobless plight as I have been there before. However, what makes you think that you're more qualified than someone you don't know about just because you've regularly bought fuel and complained about the late arrival of your coffee, ice and newspapers? I am a loyal customer to my local deli, but that doesn't make me feel more qualified to make pastrami than some other deli candidate that I don't even know. Sure, a frac/corporate pilot can give a valuable perspective on FBO customer service. But that doesn't mean you're an expert and it certainly doesn't mean that you're more qualified by default than someone with FBO customer service experience.

Perhaps the manager didn't return your call because he picked up on your sense of entitlement and hint of arrogance.

Anyway, good luck on your crusade for minimum uplift at Signature boycott. You'll need it because there will be zero participation.

(if a similar post by you is in the Corporate forum, I'll reply there as well:rolleyes:)

Are you kidding? I sympathize with your jobless plight as I have been there before. However, what makes you think that you're more qualified than someone you don't know about just because you've regularly bought fuel and complained about the late arrival of your coffee, ice and newspapers? I am a loyal customer to my local deli, but that doesn't make me feel more qualified to make pastrami than some other deli candidate that I don't even know. Sure, a frac/corporate pilot can give a valuable perspective on FBO customer service. But that doesn't mean you're an expert and it certainly doesn't mean that you're more qualified by default than someone with FBO customer service experience.

Perhaps the manager didn't return your call because he picked up on your sense of entitlement and hint of arrogance.

Anyway, good luck on your crusade for minimum uplift at Signature boycott. You'll need it because there will be zero participation.

(if a similar post by you is in the Corporate forum, I'll reply there as well:rolleyes:)

Maybe I left out the part where I worked at two other FBO's doing the same job before. Have you worked in a deli?

Maybe I left out the part where I worked at two other FBO's doing the same job before. Have you worked in a deli?

No, you didn't mention your FBO experience. Nevertheless, your sense of entitlement is still empty. Perhaps, in their opinion, they found a more qualified candidate for the open position. Again, maybe they detected the attitude you projected in these last posts, I don't know. The point is that to try to organize a boycott because another candidate was selected over you is arrogant and nonsensical. People get selected over other people for jobs all of the time, it's a fact of life. Boo friggin' hoo! Deal with it.

Heck, if I tried to organize a boycott on every company that didn't hire me, I would have gone insane.

Nope, I never had a deli job. However, if I did have deli experience and was turned down for a subsequent deli job, I wouldn't whine and cry about it on an aviation message board.:rolleyes:

To the NJA pilots that were Furloughed and still out of work

Keep applying places and try to keep your heads up. I was able to just land a flying job that could turn into a dream Career. Right when I thought it was going to be impossible to get a pilot job in today's industry, I got the call.

Keep at it!!

I Hope the best for you and your Family.

kalitta,and usajet are hiring,its freight,tough lifestyle,awesome flying.

On that note, for those of you who can, make Signature a minimum uplift / fuel around FBO. Apparently a pilot is good enough to buy gas from them, but not qualified to work the desk.

I've got no beef with that at all... PM me some details. Without a doubt, if you are qualified for that job, you should have gotten it.

I feel your pain. My wife with a MA in Aviation Science from Purdue couldn't even get a call back for a part time desk job at LandMark! Trust me... they've paid for it 50X over.

Total, complete BS on this one, but I'm not surprised.

kalitta,and usajet are hiring,its freight,tough lifestyle,awesome flying.

Haven't heard anything from Kalitta, but NG will be on the receiving end of a beer (or beverage of his choice) from me for what he's done to help guys get hired there, even if I'm not one of them. Class act!

NG just came back to the line. Your right, he is a class act! If I see him on the road before you do I'll gladly by him a beverage of his choice on behalf of the pilots he has helped.

Latest resources

Back