• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

breaking training contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest CURRENTLY has upgrade times of a bit less than 2 years. It may be different if you're hired on now. Current growth is thru Feb 06.

Tough it out man...

Stay put.

I work for a similar carrier, flying similar aircraft, but only for the next week.. That is because I toughed it out for only 3 years. And yes I had to work an extra job (actually I had 3 jobs for about a year). After only 3 years I'm out to AirTran. Folks who opted for the RJ are not only still in the RJ, but in the right seat.

Don't tell me you can't afford 15k a year. My tax info showed 14,300 for a year as FO from my airline. I'm not single either, my wife stays at home with my kids.

Sacrifice? Yes. Worth it? Holy friggin' crap yes.

On another note, I do know that majors will look at these things sometimes. I've done recruiting and hiring myself. It wouldn't look good to me if you skipped out on the contract. It would show that you are cheasing $$$ and would do it again if you had the chance. Not that you would, but it appears that way.

Blue skies!

Stick it out.

19-seat TP guys with 1500-2000 hours turbine PIC are getting harder to find these days and the big guys like to hire guys with 19 seat TP time. One major airline chief pilot told me that if they could (this particular airline), they would only hire 19-seater types.

They know that you will not flunk out of training since you have been flying w/o an autopilot, and probably have a stellar instrument scan. They also know that you won't complain about doing more than 4 legs in a day, or going above and beyond since that is what you do every day.

Besides, if you leave, the recruiters will look down on the fact that you aren't willing to stay at a job for very long. They will think you do not have any commitment to your job, lack motivation, and will be very worried about your commitment to them.

You have a chance in a lifetime to upgrade right away and get the time you need to go to a major. Don't throw it away, only to rot in the right seat of an RJ for the next 5+ years. They can never take that Turbine PIC away from you.

Think about it.

J32

p.s. - The market for regional jets is starting to shake-out. If you have your heart set to leave, be very careful. You might wind up owing GLA $$ AND being furloughed.

Last edited:
Don't worry about training contracts!

An airline is not going to take a pilot to court....they are a business and they will lose money if they try that.

You cannot squeeze water from a stone.

Why would a company take a broke pilot to court to seek a settlement on which they can never collect?

The "contract" for training is hot air....an intimidation tactic meant to act as a disincentive for any pilot to leave while they are raping you by paying you $15 an hour to put your ass on the line.

I am unaware of any attempt by any airline to use the courts to collect "training" costs. A few letters, maybe, but no further than that. If anyone knows otherwise, please advise.

Upgrade times

never think what it will be...think what it might be......my upgrade at TWA was to be 5 years...guess what...im furloughed! lol Eagle was to be 2 years....it took 4.5 years for my award, which was awarded the DAY i left for TWA! lol hey i have to laugh!!

Latest resources

Back