• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brazil's Embraer mulls development of a larger jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
New Airplane? I am all for it. I will always be in favor of innovation. Embraer will not get into this new market unless it is bringing something new to the table in terms of technology or efficiency. The 170/190 product is an amazing improvement over the 145 family of jets, and I have no doubt that Embraer could produce a very tolerable mainline-quality aircraft with this new aircraft. It is not really a new market that Embraer is going for, just a neglected one. With the termination of the 717 product, and no massive fleet of 318's in this country, there has been no replacement for the short 737's or the mid-size DC-9's. Those frames are out the door here soon, and if Embraer can slap some new engines on that size aircraft, and add in the automation that creates further efficiencies, then I think they will have a winner. Bombardier is taking a risk with the Geared Turbofan engine, though it may pay off huge. If Embraer puts out a more conventional engine as competition for the C-series, I think Embraer will get a majority of the business.

Well tough ********************.

Let's not fly them until they do.

That's laughable. There will be thousands of wannabes lined up to get a chance to fly the mainline RJ. Embraer would be wise to call the new jet the MRJ, for Mainline Regional Jet. That way the airlines can know that it is a mainline capable jet but one that can be flown at current RJ pay rates.

Latest resources

Back