Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gringo

As good as it gets.
I hear of all the pilots going over to China or India, but anyone here have any luck getting on with the Brazilian carriers like Tam or GOL?

Need to be Brasilian, do a search somebody posted a response on this type of question not to long ago.

So basically I need to a) learn Portuguese, b) obtain a Brasilian work visa and c) convert my FAA licenses to the Brasilian equivalent.

Fairly straightforward. If not time consuming.

But the wife wants to move back to VCP, so might just have to bite the bullet...

So basically I need to a) learn Portuguese, b) obtain a Brasilian work visa and c) convert my FAA licenses to the Brasilian equivalent.

Fairly straightforward. If not time consuming.

But the wife wants to move back to VCP, so might just have to bite the bullet...

According to other threads, you have to be a citizen of Brazil.

Brazilian jobs

A lot of the pilots going to China and India are Brazilian. I think you'll find that highly qualified Brazilian pilots can't find jobs in Brazil. Lot of bankrupt carriers in S. America dumping a lot of qualified pilots on the street.

D) learn how to fake your logbooks so you get hired.

Seen this one too many times. Not to mention I was in class last year with a guy that claimed he had all sorts of time from one of the Brazilian carriers. He was bounced from class for not even knowing the basics.

The scary part is that he actually may have been with one of the Brazilian carriers for a long time and still not know the basics... Different flying down there to say the least.

Last edited:
The Brazilians are also going to China and India. Those airlines don't pay much. Last time I heard, over 70 Brazilians working for Eva Air, a quarter of them left TAM for better pay.

The scary part is that he actually may have been with one of the Brazilian carriers for a long time and still not know the basics... Different flying down there to say the least.

Couldn't agree with you more. That's how they roll the dice down there. Scary..........

I wouldn't do it as a career. But for someone that is young (no family) and needs to build time to get a better job in the US (when hiring starts again), it's not a bad deal. Especially living in Brazil as a pilot in your 20s/30s. Pilots apparently are put on a pedestal over there.

Latest resources

Back