Branches in need of pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

What branches of the military are most in need of pilots? I've heard the Marines are short, and need pilots badly, while the Air Force is much more competitive, and also overmanned. What about the Navy?

If you get accepted by the Marines or Navy, what are the chances of flying fixed wing vs. helicopters?

I recently enlisted in the ANG, and have planned, once graduating, to apply for a slot with my unit, but I am not ruling out applying for an active duty slot with one of the branches.

Helos are a blast to fly!!!!

I would have had a better time had I not been in the Army, but that's not the point...it's all about the flying!

I think all branches need pilots. As this war drags on, I think you'll find more need than we've seen in a long while. Find the branch that best suits you and go for it if that's what you want!

You flew helos for the Army? What are you doing now? Personally I'll fly anything I get put in, but, if I don't make flying for the military a career, I want to make it a career flying civilian. I've always assumed I would fly for the airlines, but what opportunities are there for helo guys outside of the military?

I'm flying MD80s right now...

I'm not a big fan of the Army (sorry Army guys/gals). I went in when I was 19 as the Army is the only branch that lets kids with no degree fly.

I had a good time and I grew up a good deal. Although, I did find out very quickly I wasn't a yes sir - no sir kind of guy. I did 6 years worth of fun then called it quits. I finished up my fixed wing stuff during college and then did the turbo prop thing, then the RJ thing, and now the -80 thing...

For quality of life while in the service, the AF is the best. When we went to the field to play war, the AF guys who played with us got to stay in a nice hotel. I got to sleep with the snakes and bugs and other fun crap in the desert.

LAFrequentflyer said:
If you want to fly go into the AF...Nothing against the other services...But, I'm a pround AF mustang!

-LA

To counter this... I'd fly for the Navy or Marines and no one else. AF is too up tight, BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION! (Before this turns into a pissing match).

Everyone flies cool sh!t though.

As far as fixed wing vs. helo in the Navy... unless you just really wind up at the bottom of the list when you finish primary, or theres a huge helo draft (I never saw one)... you can chose from P-3's, E-6's, E-2/C-2, jets, etc.

SIG600 said:
To counter this... I'd fly for the Navy or Marines and no one else. AF is too up tight, BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION! (Before this turns into a pissing match).

Everyone flies cool sh!t though.

As far as fixed wing vs. helo in the Navy... unless you just really wind up at the bottom of the list when you finish primary, or theres a huge helo draft (I never saw one)... you can chose from P-3's, E-6's, E-2/C-2, jets, etc.

I see you are/were in the Navy. What did/do you fly? They are all competitive, but how competitive is the Navy as far as getting a pilot slot? The Air Force, understandably, has a lot of people trying to be pilots, afterall, it is the Air Force. Is this the case with the Navy too?

SIG600 said:

UPTIGHT...UPTIGHT???? WHAT DO YOU MEAN UPTIGHT????? ARRGGG!!!!

I'd stay here and start pissin' but I have to put my pubs together before they do another no-notice pubs check. Then, I have to put my board together for my briefing so I cover all the special interest items the command thought up themselves. Oh...and I need to sign off the 1,000th FCIF to make sure they know I won't fly fast and low at civilian fields...again. :D

Last edited:
Quality of life is going to vary greatly from branch to branch, from airframe to airframe and depend on what's going on in the world and where you are deployed. One can't say the AF has a better quality of life than the Navy vs. the other. War tends to alter the "good life" quite a bit. Do your homework before you join active duty.

Latest resources

Back