• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Branches in need of pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Army is hurting big-time. It will be flying helos at first but you can get a shot at fixed wing after a while. Look into the Army Guard, lots of states can't find people to fill slots. Timing is everything and a huge wave of folks are heading for the exits after tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. My state is 50% short of Blackhawk pilots and more are retiring or leaving in the next year. Keep an open mind and talk to folks in every service before you decide and by the way if a recruiter says it can't be done, too much paper work etc. go around him/her. There is a waiver for just about anything, especially in the Guard. Good luck, we need people.

What is the deployment schedule like in the Army? I know year long deployments are common but how long till you go back out? To bad Az guard won't drop there time in requirement.

adjutant

MECEPGrad-

The Air Force has a totally different command structure at the squadron level.

USMC-
CO-Commanding Officer
XO-Executive Officer
OPS O, Maint O, DOSS

USAF-
CC- Commander
DO- Director of Operations
ADOs- A few more experienced Officers who do all the rest of the squadron supervisory rolls. (Maintenance is a totally separate squadron)

The "exec" in the USAF is a Commander's secretary (for lack of a better term) much like the Squadron Adjutant in a Marine Corps Squadron. This individual proofreads/formats awards, evaluations, and etc.

Kuma

Kuma said:
MECEPGrad-

The Air Force has a totally different command structure at the squadron level.

I stand corrected. Thanks for bringing me up to speed so I don't make that mistake again in the future.

psysicx said:
Whats life like for a Herk pilot in the CG?

There are 5 CG C-130 duty stations: Sacramento, CA, Kodiak, AK, Barbers PT, HI, Clearwater, FL and Elizabeth Shitty, NC. QOL varies between the areas, but expect to stand a 24 hr watch 1-2 times weekly with a 30 min. launch requirement. Regular workdays usually run from ~0700-1600 on avg with plenty of deskwork. Annual flight hours vary depending on duty station anywhere between 300 - 700/ yr. The flying is great. When you're not doing some sort of long range SAR, you might be doing maritime law enforcement, migrant interdiction, Iceberg patrols, or fisheries missions. Central American Ops (Guatemala, El Salvador, Equador) are standard at any of the 5 locations. Lots of trash hauling on logistics runs from Kodiak, Clearwater and Barbers Pt. Not so much at Sacramento or E-shitty. Plenty of opportunity for Per Diem and nice hotels. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in CG C-130s.

Latest resources

Back