• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boycott Pinnacle Apps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is my first reply here. I agree that people should stop applying to Pinnacle and Skywest to force their hand to stop this practice. However, I look at it from the standpoint that I got a job at a carrier that does not believe in this practice and I therefore am ahead of the game a little bit. If people feel they can do it, then let them. I don't know about Pinnacle but I've heard good things about OO. One thing is for sure, these companies probably are not getting as many resumes as other airlines. I could be wrong but from reading this thread it sounds like there are some who have not and wil not send them any resumes.
And for flyboyDH who said he looks at it as an investment for ten years so what is a couple of months?
What if they asked you to forgo your first year salary? Would you do it since it is only one year out of ten?
Another thing, you claim that this is a necessary practice given the carriers' financial position, do you believe that from day one, any management position filled has to wait through training before receiving anything from the company. If true, then the company truly beleives this practice, if not, they are only doing this because they know they can and therefore are not very reputable.
Just another pilot giving his 2 cents. :)

Towelie,

The per diem at XJ didn't start in training but we were paid two weeks per diem on top of the per diem we started accumulating during IOE. I recall that the two weeks of per diem was a training benefit.

Cathal,

If you sign up to participate in the company health insurance at XJ the coverage begins the first day of the month following the employee's eligibility date (doh). Could be a one day up to a 30 day wait but you are eligible from day one.

I agree

PCL_128 said:
Rez, that depends. If we get an unbelievable 1st year rate for the new guys, then I can let the training pay and hotel go. I can't agree to let things continue like they are now though. Our first year FOs have to deal with 2-3 months of no pay and then they don't make any decent wages for several years to make up for it. If the first year rate is industry leading, then I say let the training pay go. If the first year rate is just average, then we need to make sure that the guys in training are paid to help make up for the low first year pay.

I see what your saying, and I kinda agree.....ok, lets say that a pilot can live with two months of unpaid training b/c he has a very supportive wife and not much debt, or even if a rich boy gets his parent to pay for his living expenses, or worst case scenario the pilot has to put it all on credit cards, I dont think it would be to bad of a deal if after training you got good pay. But like you said PCL_128, not only do pilots have to endure 3 months with no paycheck, but then have to deal with dumass OE captains (like I did), then deal with stupid management, and then after all this BULSHIAT!!! get a miserable wal-mart looking paycheck!!! I say FUK that and FUK pinchnickle

Dodge said:
Someone alluded to this a few posts back. The military puts 0 time pilots (who are no better pilots at 0 hours than anyone else) into jets on day one. And they ain't doing it for free, either. With the correct training, it is very possible for a low time pilot to have good command over a high performance aircraft.

You do have to remember the quality of training at the military level has far higher standards and is structured with much more discipline than the airlines. But it's also like comparing apples and oranges.

Fisrt of all, when NWA starts hiring in ??, no one should apply. I hear that you have to put yourself up for the first week or two of training. Principals people, principals. I know that working for a major sounds good and all, but a career at a major is not worth shelling out a few bucks for a room.

Some of you are being short sighted. You can hold out a few more months for a "good" regional, ie AE, XJ, Horizon etc and get pay and a room during training, or you can go to a "bad" regional that doesn't pay during training or a room.

Where do you want to be in 5 years?

If you go to a "good" regional, you will probably still be an FO and maybe upgrade sometime in the near future. But you had your convictions when you started and held out for a job that had pay and a room during training.

Or you can go to a "bad" regional (SkyWest, Pinnacle, etc.) and in 5 years you will probably be a CA with 1-2K hours of PIC, making more money.

Who do you want to be when the hiring picks up again? In the right seat with no upgrade in sight, not even meeting the minumun qualifications for a major?

I've also heard a million times a new hire who has not even started ground school at a "good" regional say that "I'm going to retire here". Give it a few years, it will wear off.

I put some time in at a "good" regional before coming to a "bad" regional. I can say without a doubt that I'm in a much, much better position by doing so.

If you truly do have convictions about the pay and hotel, then do what you have to do. Just promise yourself that, down the road when some of your peers are now flying at CO, SWA, Jetblue, Airtran, NWA, Alaska, and you are still in the right seat, you won't b!tch and moan.

Make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
Someone alluded to this a few posts back. The military puts 0 time pilots (who are no better pilots at 0 hours than anyone else) into jets on day one. And they ain't doing it for free, either. With the correct training, it is very possible for a low time pilot to have good command over a high performance aircraft.

You do have to remember the quality of training at the military level has far higher standards and is structured with much more discipline than the airlines. But it's also like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm also guessing that the screening to be a military pilot is just a bit tougher than a regional pilot.

Well said Carl. You hit the nail right on the head. You have a problem? Apply somewhere else, but don't b!tch later.

Carl_Spackler said:
Just promise yourself that, down the road when some of your peers are now flying at CO, SWA, Jetblue, Airtran, NWA, Alaska, and you are still in the right seat, you won't b!tch and moan.

Make a decision.

If you do make it to AirTran, they'll pay you from day one, but they won't pay for your hotel (assuming training is in domicile).

Then should we boycott them too? I think it would be great job at Airtran. Is it worth coming out of your pocket for the hotel? That's an individual decision.

Carl_Spackler said:
I'm also guessing that the screening to be a military pilot is just a bit tougher than a regional pilot.

I agree. I am just saying that training low time pilots to fly fast/complex aircraft to a sufficient level is quite possible and is done on a regular basis. The airlines though, are willing to roll the dice on providing very minimal training to pilots.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back