• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8rbama

no shirt no shoes no dice
I'm miffed about this...

I was returning from a mapping site about 150nm away from home, had flight following with the local approach control and I get a call "NXXXXX, we have a message for you... you've been requested to land at boondocks airport at your 6 o'clock, 10 miles, and call your office on the landline." I figured we had some sort of emergency back at the office or with a family member or such. Turns out he had another job come through in the same area where we were flying. We couldn't even fly the dang thing b/c we only had a color magazine, no b/w as this job required.

This didn't just happen once today, it happened twice. After departing for home, I got another call from approach. "NXXXXX, east-buddha tower just called on the landline and you need to call the office when you get back to east-buddha." Our local 'east-buddha' class D tower guys are very nice and have always told us they'd pass on occasional messages when we were operating locally, but in this case my boss asked the local tower guy to get on the landline and call approach and pass on this message (separate from the first one).

Is this a complete misuse of the FAA's communications system? I say yes, imagine if every company did this exact thing. What do you say? What the heck do I tell my boss? The controllers who passed on the info seemed kinda po'd that they were requested to do this sort of thing. These controllers are always watching our backs, and when we call up they don't even need our a/c ident or anything, they usually automatically give us a squawk and ask where our mapping areas are. I don't want to lose our repoire with these guys and gals. I do my best to be professional and polite on the radio, it's gotten us into some busy airspace where others would simply be told "unable." And I refuse to work for someone who micromanages us from the ground using ATC as a telephone operator.

Call up E-Buddha Tower yourself; thank them for their service, then tell them you're concerned your boss may be creating a problem for them and other controllers -- and for you. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them; no doubt you could clue them in that you wouldn't mind if they told the boss they were too busy to forward non-emergency messages next time he calls.

Actually, it's surprisingly more common than you think. Just a few days ago the ground controllers at Cedar Rapids called us as we were approaching the runway, telling us to call operations. A passenger on our inbound flight thought they had left something on the airplane and wanted our FA to look in the cabin for it.

There are many other instances where I have been told by ATC to "call operations" for various reasons, some trivial, some important. Another time, I was taxiing out, and was told to call ops. Turned out there was some maintenance due on the aircraft (no open write up in the logbook BTW, so someone else screwed up) that required immediate attention, and the aircraft was illegal. We turned back and offloaded the pax.

LAXSaabdude.

We pass stuff all the time ... everything from small companies, airlines, military, etc. I have never minded and have never seen anyone get upset over passing messages.

I called up to the tower. He said he was incredibly bored (class d, no radar) and approach wasn't busy either. I've heard it happen to other folks on approach and we get it all the time from the tower when coming home "more maps and film are at the fbo, call the office, etc." Our local guys are great, I just didn't want to make the approach guys mad cuz they've been saviors for us more than once by going out of their way just for us, nor do I want my boss managing me from the ground... he's incredibly wound-up, like a hummingbird on crack, and I really enjoy being isolated from his rantings by being in the air.

ive only done it once. a king air left my FBO and the pilot left his credit card. I called tower on the landline and they instructed the plane to taxi back to the FBO, he hadnt taken off yet.

av8rbama said:
... nor do I want my boss managing me from the ground... he's incredibly wound-up, like a hummingbird on crack, and I really enjoy being isolated from his rantings by being in the air.

Did you tell them this part? ;)

the only time I got the phone home thing was when I was in alledgely in trouble.... :))

pilothouston123 said:
the only time I got the phone home thing was when I was in alledgely in trouble.... :))

Ditto, purportedly.;)

81Horse said:
Did you tell them this part? ;)

I didn't specifically use those words, but they know how he can be.

I did actually tell my boss he was a hummingbird on crack about a year ago, but only in jest... little did he know I was serious.:beer:

Latest resources

Back