• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bose QC2 and UFlyMike Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There should be ample sidetone. If not, there's something wrong with that headset adapter or the user is running the adapter in "lo" impedance. If that problem exists in "hi" impedance, send it in, and we'll fix it! Can't fix a problem if we don't know it exists... Mike

I never knew there was a "hi" or "lo" impedance setting. I just flipped the only switch I see on the mic. We'll see how it goes next time I fly.

Thanks for the help Mike.

After using it for over a year now, I've never had any problems with people not hearing me...never. It works identical to any other headset. I've used it in the CRJ and the ERJ both. Also, the mic cuts out background noise better than my DC's did.

Any chance on making a version that swivels the mic up and down?

After using it for over a year now, I've never had any problems with people not hearing me...never. It works identical to any other headset. I've used it in the CRJ and the ERJ both. Also, the mic cuts out background noise better than my DC's did.

Any chance on making a version that swivels the mic up and down?

We're looking at a swivel system, but we haven't come up with a way to do that without a complete re-design = much higher cost. We don't want to change mikes because anything else would be a step down. This mike is made by Knowles Acoustics and was designed for SWAT and motorcycle police helmets. Problem with it in a swivel design is that there are some very fine wires inside which couldn't take the bending of a swivel system.

Anyway, we've got a number of options in the works. Please be patient; my wife, son and I run the entire business. It's hard to find time to work on new designs.

Mike

I've been using the UFM mic for 2 months now and love it. How do the feds feel about it? I've heard that they do not like it since the headphones are not TSO'd.

Last edited:
If there's a Fed who doesn't like it he/they better read their own FARs. There is no prohibition against using a non-TSO'd headset unless your air carrier requires it. The FAA published a letter which clarifies this (if you can understand "FAA language." ) We have a link to that letter and a lot of other info about this on the "News" page of our website: www.uflymike.com

We believe Bose started the "hooplah" over TSO'd headsets this year in a new tactic to put us out of business. Problem is they have been misquoting the FARs, and we called them on it.

Most air carriers that have added a "TSO'd only" headset requirement, don't understand what they've mandated. Here's three gaping holes you'll find in most ops specs that "require TSO'd headsets:" That air carrier:

1) allows third party modifications (custom earmolds or headbands) - this voids the TSO

2) has no inspection or maintenance procedures to ensure headsets are maintained in legal TSO condition

3) has not identified what standards under TSO certification is required - there are 23 environmental categories. The FAA does specify which categories must be tested, so headset manufacturers just pick what looks good to them. There is no standardization, e.g., the Bose X is only certified to 15,000 MSL and was only tested in 9 of the 23 categories. Another headset may be tested to 50,000 MSL. You, the consumer, never know the difference. In theory, a manufacturer could test in a couple of categories and get the FAA to issue a TSO certification. The whole thing is a joke.

If you run across someone who puts credence in whether a headset is TSO'd or not, you've just run into someone that doesn't have a clue what it means. Unfortunately, that includes a lot of Feds.

Mike

I've been using the UFM mic for 2 months now and love it. How do the feds feel about it? I've heard that they do not like it since the headphones are not TSO'd.

We believe Bose started the "hooplah" over TSO'd headsets this year in a new tactic to put us out of business

You would think if Bose wanted to put you out of business they would just change up the style of plug they use on the headset so that you couldn't plug your product in.

No mike gain adjustment, but the hiss issue is a characteristic of the earlier version - the mike was very sensitive. We desensitized the mike beginning in Apr 07. It's a free mod for those that still have the problem.

Mike

Anyone? Bueller? Adjustable gain yes or no?

No mike gain adjustment, but the hiss issue is a characteristic of the earlier version - the mike was very sensitive. We desensitized the mike beginning in Apr 07. It's a free mod for those that still have the problem with the earlier version.

Mike

Anyone? Bueller? Adjustable gain yes or no?

Latest resources

Back