• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bose Headset conversion?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spend slightly more money and buy the top of the line lightspeed. The noise cancelling is better and it's a real headset.

Scott

blzr said:
Anyone use the Telex-850's? If so, How do you like them?

I flew with a guy last week who had the 850. He seemed to like it but when he had the mike open there was a lot of back ground noise. He turned it off when he wasn't talking so it didn't get annoying, but if he woudn't have it would have been annoying.

Does anyone know if/where I can get gell ear cups for the Bose X?

Bose.com $19

You are supposed to replace them every 500 hours, I went about 800 and notices a pretty big difference when I finally replaced them.

The conversion for the QC2 looks pretty good. I spent the money for the X and couldn't have been happier (I spent the same money for my last car). I still really want a QC2 with or without the conversion. A friend of mine has one, I've used it once and was very impressed. I'm guessing it's the same technology I spent three times the money for. It's worth it though, every thing I've ever heard that says "Bose" on the side is worth the money.

Anyone here try the Lightspeed Mach1? I have been thinking of giving it try, wanna try something other than my DC's.

PBRstreetgang said:
Hey,
This may be classified as nitpicking, but the above headset does not have TSO certification. Under Part 121 headsets must be worn below 18,000ft MSL. A lot of people are using them at the 121 level. Unless a headset has TSO certification it is not a "headset" as defined by the FAA. Draw whatever inference you want, but you will not be wearing a head set, but some other device.
PBR

I don't believe any of the Lightspeed headsets are tso'd. Sure are alot of guys flying around there "headphones" instead of "headsets".

Anyway, the guy I was flying with was using the uflymike getup, and the fed who was giving us an enroute checked them out, and said that they looked pretty slick.

When I spoke with the gal in COS who makes them, she said that there were something like 1600 of them out there.

For me its a no brainer. The QC2/uflymike combo is great.

wmuflyguy said:
Anyone here try the Lightspeed Mach1? I have been thinking of giving it try, wanna try something other than my DC's.

Flew with another guy who had the Mach 1. Looked real nice, however in the CRJ the windsheld heat seemed to create an annoying hum whenever he leaned forward. He did say, however that he was going to send the unit back and that they were going to tweak with something to fix it.

I'm waiting for my uflymike to arrive. Maybe I'll post my review after I use it a bit.

Grassstrippilot said:
Hey all,

I flew with a guy a couple of months ago that had just a normal Bose ANR headset (like you see pax wearing in the back) that he had bought a conversion plug-in that made it into an aviation headset. It was pretty cool. He said that some pilot at another airline had designed the plug-in which contained the mic boom and turned his music listening headset into an aviation headset. Plus it gave you a light weight Bose headset for a third of the price of the "aviation" Bose headsets.

Anyone heard of this? If so, please post the link to order one.

Thanks

Sounds pretty cool, but I'd use extreme caution using it in the cockpit. I've got the Bose QCII, and it's a great headphone, but when the battery dies, you lose ALL passthrough input! Imagine having the battery die just as you're being given missed approach instructions. DOH!

Latest resources

Back