• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing UAV May Deliver Cargo For Marines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't think so. Flying military goods from the US to bases around the world will be safe till after I retire.

Don't think so. Flying military goods from the US to bases around the world will be safe till after I retire.

Do you retire tomorrow or in 40 years? You're not really saying much unless you reveal how long you have until retirement.

I have 25 years to go. If you think the world will be ready for 747 size aircraft autonomously flying over their country in our life time, then you have been watching too many Star Trek movies. I can definitely see military fighter aircraft becoming autonomous in the next decade or two. The fighter pilots are the ones who need to be worried.

Yes it will happen to all aircraft eventually. It might be a moot point anyway. The 'beam from here to there' idea from Star Trek is being worked on right now. Aircraft will be obsolete when they get that figured out.

Don Newman, director of unmanned systems for Raytheon Co. in Tucson, predicts cargo companies such as UPS and FedEx eventually will use unmanned aircraft.
"Think of the money they could save, if they didn't have to have pilots flying their planes," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2008/05/18/20080518biz-uav0518.html

One day soon, delivery companies such as UPS or FedEx could employ unmanned robotic flyers to deliver priority mail. Large-scale farming could be revolutionized by UAVs, which would monitor crop areas and tell farmers when to harvest. UAVs equipped with aerial cameras could also be used for moviemaking, television news and sports reporting.

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/port...d=HED0F7860-FAD2-147B-E924-CF243F6605E9&sel=2

Last edited:
I don't dispute that at all. It will definitely happen some day. It is just MHO that it will won't become a reality in the next 30-40 years.

The first crash will ground the fleet and BK the operator. I won't get on an airplane without at least one, well rested, pilot.

The present UAV's aren't all that stellar when it comes to being able to do the simple stuff...like hold altitude. Until they can get down basic flight capabilities...and not crash the aircraft when they lose link...they really have no business considering moving people or cargo around without pilots.

Don Newman, director of unmanned systems for Raytheon Co. in Tucson, predicts cargo companies such as UPS and FedEx eventually will use unmanned aircraft.
"Think of the money they could save, if they didn't have to have pilots flying their planes," he said.
Mr. Newman is missing the point. The UAV's of which he is speaking may be unmanned, but they are not unpiloted. It takes a LOT of people and a LOT of high-tech infrastructure to move a pilot from the cockpit to an Operations Center, and none of it is cheap nor is it fail-safe.

Besides, there are other, less-expensive ways to "save money on flight crews"

Current technology may permit unmanned aerial cargo vehicle operations in commercial airspace, but there really isn't a business case to made for doing it.

The first crash will ground the fleet and BK the operator. I won't get on an airplane without at least one, well rested, pilot.

So, no flying on Colgan?

Add additional airlines here:_______________

Latest resources

Back