Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SkyWestCRJPilot

Now a CAL FO
I'm a new pilot at CAL and I'm using the Plantronics MS50 T30/2. It's been a adjustment going from my Dave Clarks with a hot mike to having just one ear for ATC and the other for cockpit communication. I've found it often difficult to hear ATC unless I turn up the volume so loud it's almost shrill in my earpiece and I worry about my hearing in that ear over time. Are there other options for headsets out there that will allow me to still be able to hear the other pilot? What about the Telex 750 or 850? Or the Sennheiser HMEC 45 which is an ANR headset? Or others? What experience do you all have with headsets in the Boeings? Thanks.

My experience with the ANR-wearing headset types is that they usually have trouble hearing me the first time. They look over, pull the headset off one ear and say "What?" Then we actually communicate. And no, I very much am not a cockpit-whisperer. The modifed Bose Quiet Comfort headset that a lot of our guys have taken to wearing is the worst offender by far.

Give the Plantronics a little while longer...and you might also want to use a foam earplug in the opposite ear above 10000'/250 KIAS.

Modified Bose..

I have the UflyMike setup and LOVE it.. I've tried several other NC headsets, and didn't find this setup to have more noise cancel capability than any others.. I always fly with my left ear slight "cracked" though so that my CA doesn't have to yell.. These headsets are VERY comfortable, and are versitile so that you can listen to music etc.. (when deadheading of course!).. Anyway, I've been really happy with them.. check out Mike's website..

www.uflymike.com

I have the Senheiser (did I even spell it right?) 25s and they work pretty good in the 756. I leave my left ear half covered, it's exposed enough to hear el capitan's commands but still gives a little noise cancelling effect. Works for me. If you are in the 737, it's louder, I hear. Starrbuck's headset sounds interesting.. Might have to look into those myself, sometime. Of course, if you run across mr. a$$hole faa inspector, he might give grief that those uflymikes aren't stc'd, I think.

On a side note.. not to start a boeing v airbus or anything, but WTF is up with no hot mike switch to just be able to talk through the GD headsets when you want. If you want to use the intercom, you have to transmit like you do the radio. That's retarded. I find it amazing that nearly every other aircraft manufacturer has somehow managed to master the hot-mike switch (you don't even have to leave it on), but Boeing still makes people scream an hollar. They must own a hearing aid company or something....

I have the telex 850 and the Bose aviation X. The telex is very good and it is light weight. I broke mine twice but the repair was simple. I love my bose. It is heavy but fits very comfortably. I can hear normal conversation and ATC just fine. SWA recently put out a letter that flying with an unapproved headset could result in a 10,000 dollar fine so be aware if you go with a mock up of the real Bose.

Patriot328 said:
On a side note.. not to start a boeing v airbus or anything, but WTF is up with no hot mike switch to just be able to talk through the GD headsets when you want. If you want to use the intercom, you have to transmit like you do the radio. That's retarded. I find it amazing that nearly every other aircraft manufacturer has somehow managed to master the hot-mike switch (you don't even have to leave it on), but Boeing still makes people scream an hollar. They must own a hearing aid company or something....

I couldn't agree more. I've heard some opine that Boeing has been in denial for quite sometime over the cockpit noise levels of the 737/727/707. It absolutely should have a hot mic.

I used to jumpseat on Delta 757's and their aircraft-equipment headsets were a Davey Clark 10-20 with one ear taken off - like a football coach. They were the coolest. Don't know if you can buy them retail.

Benhuntn said:
I have the telex 850 and the Bose aviation X. The telex is very good and it is light weight. I broke mine twice but the repair was simple. I love my bose. It is heavy but fits very comfortably. I can hear normal conversation and ATC just fine. SWA recently put out a letter that flying with an unapproved headset could result in a 10,000 dollar fine so be aware if you go with a mock up of the real Bose.

Where did you see that? Is there some other RBF out there? All I see in RBF#06-27 is in reference to wireless headset use. Not that the next guy couldn't have a different opinion, but I recently had a fed aboard with my uflymike, and he didn't say a word.

I bought the Sennheiser HMEC 45KA when I started at Cal last year. It works fine. You can turn down one ear and still have noise cancelling in both ears. The only time I find the the noise a problem is when you're going fast in one of the classics, but most of the time you're putting along at .74 and it's not a problem. The NG's are alot more comfortable. And Patriot, pull up your dress and fly the plane for cryin' out loud. You spend more time in First Class than the cockpit anyway! :)

Fly

Flyforyou said:
I bought the Sennheiser HMEC 45KA when I started at Cal last year. It works fine. You can turn down one ear and still have noise cancelling in both ears. The only time I find the the noise a problem is when you're going fast in one of the classics, but most of the time you're putting along at .74 and it's not a problem. The NG's are alot more comfortable.

Fly

Granted, I'm flying the 737 but the Sennheisers work great. I have HMEC 25 KAS's which are a full-cup noise cancelling model but they also have stereo plugs and controls, which allows me to turn down the volume on the left ear cup and have no problem communicating with the Captain. I still have trouble believing how low I can turn down the volume on the audio panel.

One problem with using a noise cancelling headset is how much more frequently you find yourself nodding off. No kidding.

Latest resources

Back