• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing heasets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can definately empathize with your problem, I flew the ERJ at Express for years then just went to CAL and had a pretty hard time only using one ear.

I went for the Telex 850 as they were very similiar to the 750's I used with earplugs in the RJ, I find I have one ear uncupped or partially so during approach or departure or during conversation, but on the long silent legs I put them both on. Not as good as the Bose I am sure but price point and no batteries sold me. Next time you have a sit in IAH go to the Stopover store and they will let you try a set for a turn or so.

I can definately empathize with your problem, I flew the ERJ at Express for years then just went to CAL and had a pretty hard time only using one ear.

I went for the Telex 850 as they were very similiar to the 750's I used with earplugs in the RJ, I find I have one ear uncupped or partially so during approach or departure or during conversation, but on the long silent legs I put them both on. Not as good as the Bose I am sure but price point and no batteries sold me. Next time you have a sit in IAH go to the Stopover store and they will let you try a set for a turn or so.

Been using the Sennhieser HMEC 45 for a year now and I love it. I just take the left pad off my ear for checklist stuff both have both on for cruise. The ANR leaves me less tired at the end of a long day. I also call it my "Captain Cancelling Headset" if he's a jerk.

Unit
Huh? Did you say something?

Patriot328 said:
On a side note.. not to start a boeing v airbus or anything, but WTF is up with no hot mike switch to just be able to talk through the GD headsets when you want. If you want to use the intercom, you have to transmit like you do the radio. That's retarded. I find it amazing that nearly every other aircraft manufacturer has somehow managed to master the hot-mike switch (you don't even have to leave it on), but Boeing still makes people scream an hollar. They must own a hearing aid company or something....

You're serious, the Boeings don't have a hot mic switch? Wow, I thought I have it bad in the CRJ because it doesn't have a voice-activated intercom like the one you can get in a $15,000 used beat-up 152. Why does communication technology go backward the further in your career you go?

Murf,
The entire RBF from SWA was concerning wireless setups and the possible interference with the aircraft systems. The UFlymike attachment is perfectly legal. The FARs do not differentiate what headsets you can and can't use (with the exception of wireless apparently).

I use the bose QC2 with the attachment and love it. It's especially nice while commuting to and from work. The MP3 attachment is particularly nice (for General Aviation flying of course!:pimp: )

shagadelic said:
The FARs do not differentiate what headsets you can and can't use (with the exception of wireless apparently).

Actually --- I do believe that any head set you do should needs to be TSO'ed when in use for a commercial operation.

I thought so too. And that is what the RBF states.

Benhuntn said:
I thought so too. And that is what the RBF states.
Not to be argumentative, but the term TSO, or casual reference to "wired" headsets having to be TSO'd, approved or certified etc is no where in that RBF.

It simply states "wireless" headsets are not allowed due to potential EMI with the aircraft. It goes on to state you could get in trouble if you use them. Unless I'm missing something, that's it.

I know I've read of one FSDO saying that headsets in general do not have to be TSO'd due to them being personal gear, and not part of the "aircraft". Could another FSDO have a differing opinion? You bet.

Ironically, I got turned on to the UflyMike during IOE by a Check Airman using one. I used a Bose X for about 6 years, and hated it. It does a little bit better job at noise canceling than the UFM, but it's heavier, bulkier, and I got hot spots wearing it. YMMV.

Edit... In reading over the RBF yet again, in a separate section there is mention of headsets not having a "boom mic", as being "unapproved". Not really what's being discussed, but worthy of mention.

Last edited:
B737: I like the Telex Airman 750. No ANR = cheap, small, light. They make two kinds, one with 2 earmuff/speakers, and another with just one. GET THE SET WITH TWO. If you want to hear the other guy, fly with the second muff forward of your ear. If you need to hear a faint ATC call, it takes moments to move it into position.

I've got enough crap in my kit bag without a huge ANR headset. They work well, that's undeniable, but I'm tired of having to yell so the other guy can hear me. On the B737-800, you can go hot mike with two rubber bands, but that gets tiresome pretty fast.

Latest resources

Back