Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Body of High School Graduate Removed From Plane Crash Before Authorities Arrived, AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
NTSB investigating...

Several agencies continue to investigate a plane crash in Arizona from over the weekend.

21-year-old Jake Lundell was practicing landings Saturday at Casa Grande's airport. That's when his engine stalled in mid-flight. He crashed just west of the airport and died.

Jake's father, a doctor, and his brother were watching. Before authorities arrived, they took his body out the wreckage and back to their home in Paradise Valley.

Local police say they did not violate any laws, but the National Transportation Safety Board says it is against federal law to remove anything from the scene of a plane crash.

Lundell had a pilot's license, but according to the FAA, it expired two years ago.

News of his death made it's way around Saguaro High School, where Jake graduated two years ago. "Jake was a wonderful student," said Susan Manning, a teacher at Saguaro High School. "He was respectful, he was talented, he was kind. He was someone you could talk to one to one as an individual. It is shocking news."

The National Transportation Safety Board says it will have a preliminary report done in five days.

Pugh said:
That's just...wierd
I can understand the dad not knowing about NTSB 830, IF he wasn't a pilot. But you'd think a doctor would be smart enough to not disturb an accident site.

I do understand his concern and loss, but I don't really know what motived him to remove the body.

hmm... engine stalling? and licenses expiring? I highly doubt the ntsb would make an action against the dudes father. I could see moving the body out of the wreckage but back to the house?

FAA NTSB CIA NSA TSA DHS can all crap eat if the dad wants to take the body, let him. WHATCHA GONNA DO, fine him? Hes a doctor, ahahahahaah

My heart goes out to the family.A lot of questions also pop up. Even if one does not know about NTSB 830, in any accident most people know not to move a body unless it is for life-saving circumstances. The field is non-towered, where did he get the plane? Was there a flight school or instructor nearby? Wonder how the dad, obviously in a distraught state, managed to get to the plane and take the body. Very sad. One thing I always tell my students when they solo, or have not flown for a while, it to keep the nose low. If their pitch attitude is too high for takeoff or landing, I always tell them to lower the nose, actually, I expect it to be habitual. Perhaps at times I am just too over-protective, yet I would rather have them have too much airspeed than approach a stall during t/o or landing.

Fly_Chick said:
...yet I would rather have them have too much airspeed than approach a stall during t/o or landing.
I understand your thinking, but it's a delicate balance. Remember, when you want to stop (or are stopped by impact) the energy that must be dissipated is proportional to the SQUARE of your speed. 15% more speed means 32% more energy.

gfvalvo said:
I understand your thinking, but it's a delicate balance. Remember, when you want to stop (or are stopped by impact) the energy that must be dissipated is proportional to the SQUARE of your speed. 15% more speed means 32% more energy.

very helpful...........thanks:smash: I'll think of this next time the gpws is going off!

gfvalvo said:
Reporters are morons.

Ditto - search of Airman database indicates that Jacob Lundell was a student pilot and had been issued a third class medical certificate on March 5, 2001. So technically, the media comments concerning Jake's pilot's license being expired, were not inaccurate.

Latest resources

Back