Body of apparent stowaway found in landing gear of Delta flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

Japanese authorities are trying to identify the body of an adult man found in the main landing gear of a Delta flight from New York to Tokyo's Narita Airport.

The Mainichi Daily News reports that the body of the black-skinned male was discovered during an inspection by a maintenance worker Sunday evening.

Narita Airport police said that the man was dressed in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. There were no external injuries on his body but there were traces of frostbite.

He had no passport of personal belongings, AFP reports.
The newspaper notes that there is enough space in the main landing gear housing compartment of the Boeing 777-200 for a person to hide, but it is not pressurized.

In the past, such stowaways have died of a shortage of oxygen and the freezing temperatures.
(Posted by Doug Stanglin)

Maybe he got on the jet, and once he found out it was plain old Delta and not Song, he did everything he could to get off...ultimately getting caught up in the wheel well.

My thoughts exactly. I guess the times they are a-changing...

That ship did LOS-ATL-JFK-NRT.

Probably didn't find him until the gear doors were opened up by mx personnel. I'd be willing to bet he was in there all the way from LOS... probably frozen solid.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back