Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bob Hoover video

There was some FAA conspiracy to ground him..I do'nt know why - I don't think anyone does. He passed every medical taken except anytime an FAA medical doctor examined him, he mysteriously wasn't able to pass.
He went thru a 2 year legal battle (w/ F.Lee Bailey representing him) and won, and in the meantime went to Australia and was granted a medical and flew airshows there - the medical allowed him to fly anywhere except the USA.
But soon after that he seemed to vanish from the airshow circuit so I was wondering if it was a self-imposed retirement or "slowing down" or what??
I know someone spotted him doing his amazing show last year at the ripe old age of 82 :)
His book "Forever Flying" is a must-read for anyone..his perserverance when he was held prisoner of war in Germany for 18 months is simply remarkable. Few would have that mental toughness he had..then to escape and steal a plane to fly over the border...
anyone who knows why he's not performing as much or at all please post - thanks!

Here's a linky:

http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/hoover?12

"Bob--After reviewing all the publications' reports on your FAA debacle, I notice little or no mention of the two FAA employees who caused this disaster in the first place. What has been their fate?"

Bob Hoover:
Don.... The one separated by his own choice from the FAA.... but he's now with the sheriff's department in El Reno, Oklahoma. The other one.....is still with the FAA.
One was Clint Boehler....and the other was James Kelln....
and there was a third person who was involved....Glen J. Nelson.

It's very important to mention...
...the wonderful FAA person who took the witness stand on my behalf. His name is Norb Nester.

One side note.....I understand that Nester has been fired from the FAA.

RE Retirement:

Gary Crump asks:
How much longer do you feel like you'll want to continue flying professionally on the show circuit?
Bob Hoover:
Gary....I've always addressed that from the viewpoint of...if I'm physically fit and enjoying it and choose to continue, I will...
and I think I'll be the first to recognize when I develop some kind of deficiency and stop flying.
Look at Steve Wittman...he was 18 years older than me

I know from his book he's an brutally honest man, and would never lie.

satpak77 said:
oh yeah don't forget two FSDO inspectors from OKC FSDO I think grounded him at the OKC Aerospace American Air Show in 1992

they later quit the FAA and one used to work at FlightSafety in OKC teaching Commander school

this is 14 years ago of course....

http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/hoover?12

http://meer.net/users/waa/oralarg.html

Great Link. This man shares a good amount of wisdom, and remains humble throughout. I was lucky to see him perform when I was a young student pilot, in Davenport Iowa. Skillful aviator, and an inspiring personality. I love the comment about aspiring professional aviators...very true.

Latest resources

Back