Blunt/Embarrassing question re: medicals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LewisU_Pilot

Ok, so "turn around, bend over, and spread em" What the hell does this accomplish? Am I the only one who feels violated by this? What are they even looking for? I have heard of the finger up the butt exam, but have not had the pleasure of that one yet! Is it time I go to another AME?

Uh, if your male, how can you not know thats for checking the prostate?

But to answer your question, no, it's not normally a part of a FAA exam, same as a GYN exam is not normal for the gals.

Personally, wouldn't go to a FAA doc that does something outside of what's required. I've got a regular doc that handles that.

BTW, if you are over 35, the prostate exam is a really, really good idea, along with a annual PSA at 40.

Nu

Finger free since '97. I would probably walk out of the exam if a doc wanted to do some anal probing, but thats just me. You guys who do this for a living don't really have a choice.

Hmmm.

I get a PSA every-other year, and since I was 40...every June...I look my AME in the eye and tell him to "make sure every thing is cool".

It would be hypocritical of me to demand my wife get a mammogram every year without having my prostate checked.

NuGuy said:
Uh, if your male, how can you not know thats for checking the prostate?

But to answer your question, no, it's not normally a part of a FAA exam, same as a GYN exam is not normal for the gals.

Personally, wouldn't go to a FAA doc that does something outside of what's required. I've got a regular doc that handles that.

BTW, if you are over 35, the prostate exam is a really, really good idea, along with a annual PSA at 40.

Nu

I always thought the finger was the way to check, didn't know you could check without using it. I am 25 and good to go. 1st class med.

Exams

Most pilots want the quickest non evasive exam available.

Recently had my 1st class with a new Dr.

It is refreshing to see a Dr take nearly 90 min with you, looking out for your and your health and not trying to bust you over anything.

At my age, I require the EKG for first class, so about 15 min of that was the EKG.

Where else can you get an old family doc to examine you and talk about your health for 90 min at $135?

Wouldn't you want to know if something was wrong with you that could effect your health and career?

As for the Rectal, he asked when last one was then was satisfied with not doing the digital exam.

SpyFlysDOTs said:
It is refreshing to see a Dr take nearly 90 min with you, looking out for your and your health and not trying to bust you over anything.

I don't go to an AME for health care. I go to an AME for a little piece of paper that says I may continue to make a living.

For health care I see a doctor.

I don't have anything to hide, but there is nothing to be gained from confusing the two, and much to be lost.

From a med site. For those who wonder.

Why does the doctor ask you to "turn your head and cough", you ask? So that he can test you for a hernia. But that's the simple answer. The harder answer is in two parts.
Part One: Why the cough?
When you cough, a vibration will run down your spine. Based on how this vibration gets transmitted down to the base of your spine, which is what the doctor is touching underneath your testicles, will indicate whether or not you have a herniated disc in your spine.
Part Two: Why must I turn my head?
I've heard two explanations for this. One is that the twisting of your neck will tighten up your spine and improve the accuracy of the doctor's diagnosis. I call this the practical explanation. I've also heard a more utilitarian explanation: do you think the doctor really needs you to cough on him? No, thus you are asked to turn away from him before coughing.

Last edited:
Make sure to account for the total number of hands he is touching you with!

contactapp said:
From a med site. For those who wonder.

Why does the doctor ask you to "turn your head and cough", you ask? So that he can test you for a hernia. But that's the simple answer. The harder answer is in two parts.
Part One: Why the cough?
When you cough, a vibration will run down your spine. Based on how this vibration gets transmitted down to the base of your spine, which is what the doctor is touching underneath your testicles, will indicate whether or not you have a herniated disc in your spine.
Part Two: Why must I turn my head?
I've heard two explanations for this. One is that the twisting of your neck will tighten up your spine and improve the accuracy of the doctor's diagnosis. I call this the practical explanation. I've also heard a more utilitarian explanation: do you think the doctor really needs you to cough on him? No, thus you are asked to turn away from him before coughing.

I am confused. That is anatomically impossible to go direct from your sac to your spine via the finger five arrival??

Latest resources

Back