Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blue or White Collar? You make the call.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the job is white collar. Sad thing is all my union friends with no education in St Louis make more money than most pilots these days.

Bandit60 said:
You are wrong. I went to the Dept of Labor website and actually found it where it says that pilots are white collar. Where did you get your information? I think you might need to double check it.

Well it was the mid 90s when I first found out that statistic and I havent really thought much about it since. But apperalty it bothers a lot of people on this board.

ableone said:
Lawyers and Doctors are true professionals. They can strike out on their own and work independently.

It is not possible for an airline pilot to hang a shingle and go into business as an "airline pilot."

I would say we are blue collar worker bees.

Well, can a supertanker captain strike out and work independently? How about a military officer? A judge? It's not possible for airline pilots and the afore-mentioned examples to hang a shingle and go into business because the costs of entry. In theory if you had enough start up capital you could go into business as an "airline pilot". A military officer can't buy his own forces to command, a judge can't buy his position (or is not supposed to be able to anyway...).

As somebody pointed out we're a unique mix and I believe that does make it more interesting than other professions (uuhh, "occupations"?).

We get worked up by the labels because our society, unfortunately, looks down on blue collar jobs.

And the guy suggesting that nobody's ever worked a blue collar job here in their life, how do you think they supported themselves as students, CFI's, first year FO's, etc. Most pilots I've met have worked numerous jobs that would qualify as blue collar. Go back a number of months and look up the thread "what's the worst job you ever had". Lots of interesting examples.

i think it's Carolina blue ( 50%white/50blue)

someone said," the amount of money you make is directly tied to the difficulty of a problem that you solve.

i.e. heart surgeon saves life ; makes 500k
lawyer sues big corp and wins; makes 30 mil
internet techie starts company, goes public; makes 2 bil (google)
pilot teaches people to fly; makes 7 dollars/hr
pilot flies regional jet (75hr+250hr duty) ; makes 7 dollars/hr
pilot flies bigger jet for start up; makes; 14 dollars/hr

pilot calls Geico / saves 15% on his car insurance

climbhappy said:
pilot teaches people to fly; makes 7 dollars/hr
pilot flies regional jet (75hr+250hr duty) ; makes 7 dollars/hr
pilot flies bigger jet for start up; makes; 14 dollars/hr

pilot calls Geico / saves 15% on his car insurance

pilot on unemployment; more than he made when working.:laugh: :beer:

Too many negative vibes, this is still a great career where else can a high school grad count on making a$100K per year by the time he is in his mid-30's. And on top of that doing something he likes/

i wouldn't call them negative vibes, but sarcastic... i was at the job fair and pretty much everyone wanted a college degree. i don'y know of any regionals that pay 100k a year. since comair is now taking a paycut. i still like it or i wouldn't do it.. we have the power to CHOOSE.... i just happen to love the taste of beans and rice.

United Eagle of China was hiring into the Airbus for 8000/month....There key requirement was that your home country not be at WAR with China.

Purple Haze said:
My dad taught me you could tell by whether you wash your hands before or after you use the restroom.

before = blue collar

classic.

I think your Dad was on to somin there.

Latest resources

Back