Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blue or White Collar? You make the call.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blue, white, or pink collar??? I don't know, but after a week of flying I'll have to add the brown collar!!!:laugh:

In all seriousness, there are white collar flying gigs, as well as blue collar flying gigs. It all depends on who you work for.:beer:

well...

to further cloud the waters

PILOTS, GENERALLY speaking, are:

- College Educated
- Serve many years as "apprentice"
- Huge population of military officers in the ranks
- Make life/death decisions as part of their job
- Are part of the corporate image and seen by customers daily
- Play a role in the customer service chain
- Undergo advanced training every year for rest of career
- Must meet stringent government mandated health requirements
- Some are in unions, some not (Corporate, Military pilot, etc)

BLUE COLLAR workers, GENERALLY, are:

- not college educated
- do not make life/death decisions
- are NOT a part of the customer service chain
- are NOT part of the corporate image seen by customers
- do NOT undergo advanced training
- are almost always in unions

Our problem lies with what it took to get where you are. Doctors, lawyers, CPA's etc have a pretty well defined and standardized process. It trys to ensure that what you see is what you get. Pilots are not that way. Every pilot has a different story on how they got where the are. Only the military pilots, not starting a military vs civilian fight, have that well defined and more importantly standardized process. Doesn't mean they are better airline pilots, but there process is better understood by the general public. Education, is not a factor in becoming a pilot, lucky for me, yes many if not most are college graduates, but not required. Only the FAA mandates our requirements, airlines then add their experience requirements, and the FAA requirements are nothing more than what is required for plumbers or electricians in their trade. Military Pilots get their white collar/professional stamp for being a Military Officer first, then a pilot.

Thedude said:
Sorry, but the Dept of Labor calls pilots blue collar

You are wrong. I went to the Dept of Labor website and actually found it where it says that pilots are white collar. Where did you get your information? I think you might need to double check it.

My dad taught me you could tell by whether you wash your hands before or after you use the restroom.

before = blue collar

Lawyers and Doctors are true professionals. They can strike out on their own and work independently.

It is not possible for an airline pilot to hang a shingle and go into business as an "airline pilot."

I would say we are blue collar worker bees.

The Prussian said:
Blue Collar:

JetBlue

White Collar:

Alaska
American
Continental
Delta
Northwest
Southwest
United
USAir/AWA

Am I missing something here?

Brown Collar:
UPS

Purple Collar:
FedEx

We are very unique. We are blue collar but we have a level of education and responsibility to the public.

Here is the trick.... How do you want to be precieved by the public and your employer.....

Once you figured it out...start acting the part!

Christ, I can't believe you guys are bothering to argue over this. Act like a professional, and you have your answer.

Latest resources

Back