Blue Angel crash at airshow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RIP,Godspeed, my brother.

I tivoed the video of his accident this morning. It shows him spinning out of control above the other five before he attempted to join up and going frame by frame appears he was spinning horizontally before dropping to the ground. He appears not to be aileron rolling but snap rolling. I don't think the fly by wire computer will let the pilot stall the wing on an F18. I saw an F18 crash on the runway at El Toro about 18 years ago not pulling out of a sqare loop in time. His wings were perfectly level when he hit the runway in a high rate of descent and I am sure that pilot had the elevator control to the stops.

I remember seeing that on television.....I was in AFROTC at the time.

I tivoed the video of his accident this morning. It shows him spinning out of control above the other five before he attempted to join up and going frame by frame appears he was spinning horizontally before dropping to the ground. He appears not to be aileron rolling but snap rolling. I don't think the fly by wire computer will let the pilot stall the wing on an F18. I saw an F18 crash on the runway at El Toro about 18 years ago not pulling out of a sqare loop in time. His wings were perfectly level when he hit the runway in a high rate of descent and I am sure that pilot had the elevator control to the stops.
He hit so hard that his straps broke, his face ate the stick litterally, ironically this was the day before the blues did their airshow in El Toro! By the way it was the group CO at the time that had the accident. He lived, and months of recouperation, face reconstruction etc...

At El Toro when he went for his final vertical dive I told my wife he wouldn't make it as he started the dive while we were in the hot dog line. Fortunately he lived but he probably shouldn't have been doing that demo flight.

I found the video I watched this morning on a google search but couldn't find one on evening news. The website video shows him tumbling out of control in his turn to join up and if there is no stall protection maybe in his relatively low speed join up pulling up from his dive and steep bank he did encounter a stall situation that caused the loss of control. It looked like he recovered at the end but couldn't clear the ground. A good quality video would probably clear things up. RIP Kevin.

Let's let the professionals determine the cause. Speculation is just that from most untrained eyes. Let's continue to honor the great service of a great US Naval Officer.

Yes, what ever happened that day will be known by all when the report comes out. We all want to know how this accident happened. We did not expect a Blue Angels fatality to happen on a join up maneuver. They are the best and losing a pilot during this phase of their flying program brings questions. I have watched them dozens of times and the join up always seems to be a non event.

I found the video I watched this morning on a google search but couldn't find one on evening news. The website video shows him tumbling out of control in his turn to join up and if there is no stall protection maybe in his relatively low speed join up pulling up from his dive and steep bank he did encounter a stall situation that caused the loss of control.

Ok, this is the second post that proves you're grabbing at straws. You clearly have no concept of what high performance fighters are capable of. Let me put it to you like this. Critical angle of attack in the charlie hornet is 35 degrees. I have seen greater than 60 degree's AOA in low speed fights, FULLY STALLED, and with full nose authority. Just because the wing is stalled in no way means you're out of control. Please, stop your speculation. I've seen all the video's, talked to the guys that were there, and come up with my own ideas, but am keeping them to myself and waiting for what the official source has to say.

And a join up should be a non event, however I can think of three fatal incidents in the last 36 months that occured during a simple admin join up.

Last edited:
First off, I want to say that this is such a tragedy, and my prayers go out to our fallen aviator and his friends and families. My Dad just retired with the Navy (civilian worker) after 40 years, and I feel like the Navy is part of my family. I've been watching the Blues since I was a little kid and just saw them again at Fleet Week in S.F. in October. In my opinion, the F-18 in that Blue paint is one of the most beautiful aircraft.

I also am not a military pilot (my eyesight sucks). I've seen them do that "join up" time and time again. It's so wierd to watch that aircraft just stop flying and head towards the trees. Man, it could be anything. Massive flock of birds, medical problem, flight control problem... who knows. One thing that is certain, though, is we'll learn from this accident and all become better pilots from it.

God bless to all our military personnel at home and abroad.

My sister is the current XO/Admin officer for the team, and was working in the tower when it happened. She told me that she saw the whole thing. Let's not speculate, or spread rumors. Let's just remember Kevin and all who are trying to deal with this tragedy. Kevin was an outstanding example of what the Blue Angels stand for. RIP

Latest resources

Back