Blue Angel crash at airshow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My attempt to pull this back on topic.

#6 LCDR Kevin Davis was my college roomate and good friend. We were planning a get together at the air show in Millville, NJ. Kevin was a great person, always putting the needs of other's above his own. He was the epitome of the moral character required to be a Blue Angel. He was single, and is survived by his parents and an older brother. He died doing what he loved. May he rest in peace.

This is very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Most of us can only dream of being the kind of men they are. Godspeed.

A tragic loss. I'm sorry about your friend, tailspin.

My sincere condolences, a great loss to our country.

My dad taking me to see a Blue Angels show when I was kid is what made me want to fly.

Godspeed, RIP.

LCdr Davis was an absolute star. I was priveleged enough to meet him last year when my friend and then Blue Angel gave me a ride in his backseat, an honor and a thrill. The Team goes out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and treats every individual as if they are the most important person in the room. Kevin, in particular, managed to stand out as a class act having the time of his life, even in a room where "over achiever" is a massive understatement.

Prayers to your friends and family who raised a hero of a man, SD

Thats great you got to meet him and the rest of the team SD. When Kev was the #7, he had a backseat ride set up for me set up at El Centro, but I got a sinus infection in the desert of all places and had to scrap it. It wasn't meant to be. I too got to meet a few of the team and they are without a doubt top notch. I spoke with him on Thursday about our get together in May...unfortunately that was also not meant to be. I am proud to have known him...Gone but not forgotten.

I had the pleasure of interacting with Kevin last year during our Airshow at KPIT. He was an awesome dude - down to earth, engaging, enthusiastic.... His love of flying was ABSOLUTE. He had more character than most people could dream of having in a lifetime. A tremendous loss....godbless....

A very good friend of mine is a traffic cop here in a suburb of PHX and was involved with coordinating traffic for the Blues when they were flying in Goodyear (GYR) last year. Kevin was the #7 guy and set up the logistics for the event. My buddy was blown away by the professionalism displayed by the team and uses it as an example to motivate is fellow officers. Kevins memory will not be soon forgoten.

RIP,Godspeed, my brother.

LCDR Davis, thank you for all you've done in your lifetime. You were someone that everyone could look up to and you made a positive difference in this world.

I agree. He came in to rejoin but to do it needed a high angle of wing bank to turn and not overshoot the group.. It was more like a 130 degree turn in. Nose however never came up. Looked like a constant angle held right into the trees. Somebody more familiar with AOA and momentum would have to weigh in on the factors. I was thinking perhaps tunnel vision. In there other manuvers, you anticipate the blood loss. Rejoining is not considered a high performance event.

Why is a bad thing to discuss the mishap...or the possible causes of it?

We're not the AMB, and I'm pretty sure the actual AMB won't rush to this Forum to determine the factors in this tragedy.

I heard John Fogg (Mayor of Pensacola, and former Blue Angel) speculating on the possible cause yesterday. He mentioned GLOC and a birdstrike. He also mentioned he just didn't know.

Since we're aviation professionals (SWA/FO notwithstanding), I don't think we're out-of-school when we discuss this crash...assuming it can be done professionally on this Forum. If the cause of the mishap is off limits...then perhaps we could discuss Kevin's aviation education. He graduated from ERAU. He was proud of that. Maybe those that hurl smug attacks on ERAU as a "geek factory" should ensure they include Kevin's bio in their future posts?

Why is a bad thing to discuss the mishap...or the possible causes of it?

We're not the AMB, and I'm pretty sure the actual AMB won't rush to this Forum to determine the factors in this tragedy.

I heard John Fogg (Mayor of Pensacola, and former Blue Angel) speculating on the possible cause yesterday. He mentioned GLOC and a birdstrike. He also mentioned he just didn't know.

Since we're aviation professionals (SWA/FO notwithstanding), I don't think we're out-of-school when we discuss this crash...assuming it can be done professionally on this Forum. If the cause of the mishap is off limits...then perhaps we could discuss Kevin's aviation education. He graduated from ERAU. He was proud of that. Maybe those that hurl smug attacks on ERAU as a "geek factory" should ensure they include Kevin's bio in their future posts?

The post above yours is a good reason why speculation becomes so frustrating. Its not you or I putting forth possibilities, that's the difference. What Andy posted is what we should all be thinking of right now.

Thanks Andy. Kevin was what we all strive to be...let the following quote be a great example...

I had the pleasure of interacting with Kevin last year during our Airshow at KPIT. He was an awesome dude - down to earth, engaging, enthusiastic.... His love of flying was ABSOLUTE. He had more character than most people could dream of having in a lifetime. A tremendous loss....godbless....

Thank you Blues for all that you do for our comrades at arms.

LCDR Davis RIP....

THAT BEING SAID, WE ALL KNOW SOMETHING WENT WRONG, PLEASE DO NOT SPECULATE. THANK YOU.

The post above yours is a good reason why speculation becomes so frustrating. Its not you or I putting forth possibilities, that's the difference. What Andy posted is what we should all be thinking of right now.

+1

A sad time for the family, the team, and Naval Aviation. Proof that it can happen to any of us.

A sad time for the family, the team, and Naval Aviation. Proof that it can happen to any of us.

Yes, it is a sad time.

But let's try to make this a positive by making a positive impact on the world tomorrow. I ask that everyone commit a random act of kindness- whether it be letting someone into your traffic lane in front of you, saying good day to a passerby, or giving a family member a hug and telling them how much you love them- do something that will have a positive impact on the world.
I will never be half the man that Kevin Davis was. But maybe, for just one day, we can all be half the man that Kevin was.

Latest resources

Back