• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bloomberg: DAL buys 40 CRJ900s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They typically do buy them, then sub-lease them out to the DCI carriers. Very rarely do the DCI carriers own any planes.

So bottom line for big CRJ's is 325 planes that can carry 70+ people. Wow.

The DC9-10 carried 76 px at mainline rates. Very sad indeed.

DALPA had Delta over a barrel with the need to re-engine hundreds of CRJ200's. Then they blinked. Bought off on larger RJ's for more pay. History repeating itself.

Next time Deltas contract is up, negotiators will ask for larger and more RJs. Hopefully the Delta pilots will say no next time.

You've got that right. Delta will come hat-in-hand saying the 76 seater are not economical anymore and they need 100 seaters to make it work. Plus the promise of decreasing the TOTAL number of RJ's. More pay for Delta pilots, rinse and repeat.

They will not say NO next time, just like C2012. Just watch what happens next time. And the General will initially say it's a bad deal, but will change his tune when he sees the new payscale.

what Delta pilots should have gotten in their contract was..

"if Delta is involved in any way in buying or financing aircraft, those aircraft have to be flown by Delta pilots."

Yes, this would have killed my job at my regional but would have put jobs at mainline where they belong. But I will have to say-i guess any recapture of mainline jobs is a good start.

"if Delta is involved in any way in buying or financing aircraft, those aircraft have to be flown by Delta pilots."

I agree, I never really thought of Delta buying the airplanes then subcontracting to the subcontractors. Smart business move.

On the CRJ-900 payscale at Delta, my thought/opinion is... If one of the subcontractors goes on strike, or threatens to strike, Delta can train their pilots to fly the CRJ-900 quickly and not have to negotiate a new contract to get the payscale voted on.

I hope you're right. Because we're all tired of delays in career progression. The unconfirmed word is though, that DAL has already asked us to delay the transfers of fifty-seaters.
In which case DAL would have to delay adding 76 seaters. Before DAL can add a single 76-seat RJ to DCI, they have to add 1.25 B717s to the mainline, then they can add one 76-seat aircraft , but have to park between 2.7 and 4.6 50-seat aircraft for each 76-seat aircraft. At the end of the day, mainline will get 88 B717s, DCI 70 76-seat aircraft, but DCI will park a minimum of 218 50-seat aircraft. Word is, that DAL may have a deal to park more 50-seaters then that.

In which case DAL would have to delay adding 76 seaters. Before DAL can add a single 76-seat RJ to DCI, they have to add 1.25 B717s to the mainline, then they can add one 76-seat aircraft , but have to park between 2.7 and 4.6 50-seat aircraft for each 76-seat aircraft. At the end of the day, mainline will get 88 B717s, DCI 70 76-seat aircraft, but DCI will park a minimum of 218 50-seat aircraft. Word is, that DAL may have a deal to park more 50-seaters then that.

And the fact they may park more is proof that the new Delta contract had nothing to do with parking them to begin with. The only thing it did that wasn't going to be done before is add more 76 seaters. If Delta wanted 717's, they would have just done that too.

Yup, here at UAL it seems the majority are just chomping at the bit to vote YES on an industry defining TA in all the wrong places. Sadly some point their finger at DAL, glass houses. Our TA gives up more than DAL's did with NONE of the rewards. We aren't even sell outs, we just give it away. That being said it's not done yet, but I feel that the YES voters may have this one.

And the fact they may park more is proof that the new Delta contract had nothing to do with parking them to begin with. The only thing it did that wasn't going to be done before is add more 76 seaters. If Delta wanted 717's, they would have just done that too.

That's an incorrect assumption. If DAL were able to park a dozen or so additional 50-seat aircraft, above and beyond the 218, does not prove that they could have parked the original 218 to begin with, possibly just a couple dozen, but not 218.

Also, absent the accelerated parking of 50-seat aircraft, there would have been no need for 88 B717s, since Delta would not need to back fill lost DCI lift, with mainline lift.

Additionally, without the TA, there wouldn't have been a mainline to DCI block hour ratio, which prevents the 717s from being replacement jets, or hard caps on DCI aircraft. And finally, with a projected mainline fleet of 796 airframes by the end of 2015, up from about 720 today, Delta could have put 240 76-seat jets into service at DCI, but will now be limited to 223.

All in, the TA creates, over a 3 year period, approximately 1,000 additional mainline jobs.

Latest resources

Back