Blood pressure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400ACapt

Anyone have any ideas on how to help themselves out on a blood presure test for a medical? I am a little high, around 140/75 and don't want to ride the high line everytime I go in? Any ideas other than working out would be helpful!! Thanks in advance!

I'm sort of in the same boat that a few lost pounds wouldn't hurt.
Normally though before my physical, I'll stop drinking anything with caffeine for about 3-5 days before and also really watch the salt intake. Stay away from the fast foods and Chinese foods too, they're loaded up with MSG. Also watch out for some of the salad bars too. Those restaurants will load up the lettuce and stuff with MSG to keep it looking nice. Lean more toward the Caesar salads. Get really hydrated with a lot of water. Also try to do your physical early in the morning, before the days stresses start wearing on you. That might help by about 5-10 points. Let me know and good luck to ya.

Do all of the above a hard work out at the batting cages does wonder for the BP, I think that hard upper body workout opens things up. You can get some stuff at the local health food store that will help also. Remember that as you get older your bp will rise but so do the FAA requirements.

Do you think you have high BP or is it "white-coat" hypertension?

If it's real, all of the above. Someone told me to try upping my Calcium intake. Another was to increase Zinc? I don't know. If its real - people suggest getting it looked at.

White-coat hypertension - I know about. I changed doctors. The old guy used to come in, order me to take off my shirt, slapped the cuff on me, pumped till my head felt like it was going to go through the ceiling and then grumbled that I always seemed high.

The new guy has his nurse do it. Walk in, she goes through some questions, takes my temperature, checks the weight, puts the cuff on and tests. I've been completely normal for the last eight Class I's.

Before the switch and suspecting the hypertension was all in my head, I did two things that sort of helped. 1.) I went to the supermarket every week and used that free thing back by the pharmacy. Got a little card and got used to seeing and logging my BP every week. Normal. Normal. normal. Nothing to worry about. 2.) When the cuff goes on, use your imagination and take yourself back to a kid playing with your favorite pet in the backyard. We were dog people. As a kid I had this great dog that I just used to love. No joke. 5 points off the BP instantly. They've done tests and science studies. If you like either dogs or cats and you actively pet a friendly one, your BP drops like a rock. The scientists say that just thinking about the pet causes us to relax.

BP

Actually, 140/75 isn't that bad. 120/80 is normal.

Along with the ideas above, I close my eyes and try to relax my mind when the cuff is applied.

One other idea you might try is getting an early morning appointment, before your body really awakens. I found that with myself my BP rises during the day.

Good luck with your exam.

140/75 is OK. Especially considering that the lower number is the more important one. I think the FAA guidelines for examiners allows descretion up to 155/95. One thing that is medically proven to help is potassium. So, drink a good amount of orange juice and eat bananas. Also, stay away from alcohol for at leat a week, prefferably 2, before your test.

Thanks for all of your help. I feel that most of it is white coat tension. I am not overweight at all(6ft 175) and i ride a bike for thirty minutes a day 5 days a week. I was just not sure whether or not there were breathing techniques to help out or something of that sort? I will take the advise of the potassium and continue to drink my O.J. Again thanks

Another thing you could do is eat a lot of celery and take a herb called "Hawthorne Berry." You can find this herb at any health food store.
Good luck!

MartinFierro said:
Also, stay away from alcohol for at leat a week, prefferably 2, before your test.

Holy Crap! You have got to be kidding. Beer deprivation would drive my B/P up, not down!

As a former EMT, I can tell you this:

Your BP is not necessarily "high". Normal is 100 plus your age, over 89 or less (up until 50) ie. 132/78. The top number is the pressure exerted by your blood vessels when your heart contracts (pumps) and the lower number is the pressure when the vessels are at rest. People with really high BP's routinely pump numbers like 220/105 so don't get yourself too spooked, you're not headed for a stroke anytime soon, but could probably benefit from relaxing when they're taking your BP . . . . . .

If you are already in shape (sounds like you are, if you are doing 30 mins of cardio 5 times a week) then relaxation should help. There is definitely something called "White coat syndrome" which specifically refers to an abnormally high BP in the DR's office. I like the idea of thinking about a pet or something else to get you relaxed.

Latest resources

Back