Blood pressure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dcfu69

Recently at my faa medical I had a higher bp the usual ( 140ish/80ish).. I have always had the "whitecoat syndrome" thing. I hate going to hospital and doctors offices... that alone stresses me out and raises my bp. I took it the other day and since I was stressing out about it and it was waay to high like 155/95..then i took some deep breaths relaxed and it went to into the 130s/80s... today it was 125/90... but again i always feel stressed out when im taking it because I have a phobia about it..anyone else experience this??

absolutely on the same boat as you..my advice, try to get a lower baseline BP so when it goes up infront of the doc, it isnt so high...i suggest Magnesium suppliments and Omega 3 fish oil and or flax added to your food.
As far as white coat goes, take your BP EVERY DAY so that you become accustomed to the experience...itll help soften the doctors visits a bit

thanks for the advice. I just ordered an at home BP cuff so I can get used to it. Its weird when I'm not thinking about it then my BP is normal... I took it the other day at the store with my gf right before we checked out and it was 112/73....then when I know I have to get it done its a lot higher. I also heard that cutting salt out of my diet and adding potassium will help as well.

I understand completely and so do GOOD doctors. I had a doctors assistant tell me my BP would give me a stroke. So I had to educate them on white coat syndrome, Dr saw me and understood...oddly though some Dr's dont know white coat or dont believe it and then prescribe BP meds. I think some habituation/conditioning here will do well for you and ofcourse for me. I also found that TRYING to calm down makes things worst. Let me ask you. when you go to the dr do your extremeties get cold/cool? thats another sure sign of nerves. Your BP rises cause your blood is pooled at the core of your body, away from extremeties in preparation for a fight or a flight

cuff size?????, important

I have always been 120/80 or less. This last time was 140/?? I kept checking at the automated machines and it was near 140. I went to my regular Dr. and it was 120/80, twice.

She used the large size cuff. Stardard is medium. I have been hitting the gym for the past 3 months and my arms are a bit bigger. Maybe that is your problem. All the automated machines have the meduim cuff. I have trouble putting my arm in it before the test.

Your home test may have the right sized cuff.

Try taking 3 deep, slow breaths before the test and exhale slowly.

I have same situation and as a matter of fact, posted on this topic when an AME took my BP while I was standing up.

The official medical guidance on taking BP is the subject should be sitting or laying down and allowed to chill out for 10 minutes before the test. Also no talking during the test.

Thanks for all the help guys.... My at home monitor just came in and I followed the directions exactly as is said... Wait 10 to 15 min and take it with your left arm at heart level and my BP was NORMAL... thank god. Now I know its just nerves when I go to the doctors. I still don't like the feeling/sensation of the cuff bearing down on my dam arm but at least I have time to get used to it now. When I did my last physical the lady had me walk right over and take my BP first thing without allowing me to sit and chill for a few mins. Now I know that it can help with stabilizing my BP. Again... Thanks for all the help and advice!!

Thanks for all the help guys.... My at home monitor just came in and I followed the directions exactly as is said... Wait 10 to 15 min and take it with your left arm at heart level and my BP was NORMAL... thank god. Now I know its just nerves when I go to the doctors. I still don't like the feeling/sensation of the cuff bearing down on my dam arm but at least I have time to get used to it now. When I did my last physical the lady had me walk right over and take my BP first thing without allowing me to sit and chill for a few mins. Now I know that it can help with stabilizing my BP. Again... Thanks for all the help and advice!!

the last medical the Dr took mine standing up, it was elevated, he then said "whoaaa ! you are high normal ! how LONG has this been like THIS? Huh? Huh? Lets take it again!"

second take was sky high

WTF

I have the same problem. My dr is aware and now allows me to lie down and chill for 10 mins. before taking it and it is normal. I wish all dr.'s could think outside the box. My white coat is traced back to a bad experience from a medical exam. Ever since then, I am stressed ay the dr. Unfortunately, the FAA does not recognize white coat syndrome. Therefore it is something you have to talk to your doctor about.

I have the same problem. My dr is aware and now allows me to lie down and chill for 10 mins. before taking it and it is normal. I wish all dr.'s could think outside the box. My white coat is traced back to a bad experience from a medical exam. Ever since then, I am stressed ay the dr. Unfortunately, the FAA does not recognize white coat syndrome. Therefore it is something you have to talk to your doctor about.

The FAA does recognize white coat somewhat. The AME guide says if BP is high the applicant can get readings done on three consecutive days and if the average is below 155/95 all is good. Of course if the doctor makes your BP go up this may not help anyway. You can try to find an AME that allows you to take your readings at home and give it to him when you do your exam. I have the same problem and it sucks to stress about it at every exam.

Latest resources

Back