• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Block an End Number

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Lear I fly has it's number blocked, not by choice. It was sold to us by Georgia Pacific, they blocked the number and we never bothered to unblock it.

I know a very popular musician who's tail number is blocked--keeps fans from showing up at the airport!

Humana Insurance blocks their tail #s. Smart thing to do if you ask me. The fortune 500 companies don't really care for their travel plans and business meetings to be general knowledge to the public, or competitors for that matter.

Like h25b said, sometimes it's best not to have certain transactions found out about betweem companies (such as mergers or buyouts) because it can hurt stock value of both companies (or greatly inflate it) cause insider trading or unnecessary public unease.

On some of our charters, the customer asks if the tail number can be blocked. We are not yet setup with our tail #s blocked, but we do have a ICAO 3-letter and callsign that cannot be tracked. Not even the aircraft type, point of departure or destination show up. We are a phantom when we fly using the 3-letter.

And yes, using the 3-letter is legal. It is not assigned by the FAA or ICAO, but due to the fact neither the 3-letter or radio telephony is assigned to any company, we can legally use it within FAA US Airspace.

We are however in the process of obtaining approval for 3 different 3-letters and associated callsigns.

westwind driver said:
And yes, using the 3-letter is legal. It is not assigned by the FAA or ICAO, but due to the fact neither the 3-letter or radio telephony is assigned to any company, we can legally use it within FAA US Airspace.
Interesting....so anyone can take an unused combination of 3 letters, attach it to an unused telephony and use it? I did not know this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back