Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

By Christian Plumb
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The judge presiding over Delta Air Lines Inc.'s bankruptcy said on Monday that the carrier's motion seeking to void its pilots' labor contract had the taint of "union busting."

"The issue is whether or not at this time I should permit the rejection of the union contract," U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Prudence Beatty said. "One can talk about union busting and that is precisely what this kind of motion has the taint of...."

Her remarks came amid a testy exchange between the judge and Delta lawyer Jack Gallagher in which Beatty, who the pilots have in the past accused of siding against them, assailed some of the airline's main arguments.

The No. 3 U.S. carrier is asking the court to void the pilots' contract so it can force them to accept $325 million in givebacks, part of $3 billion in cost cuts and revenue hikes it says it needs to stem its losses.

"Frankly, I think you have a bias here," she told Gallagher. "It's a personal bias against the pilots."

Gallagher argued that the airline needed to weigh the pilots' rights against those of its 44,000 other employees.

"There is not enough money left in this company to continue to pay these pilots," he said.

Earlier, the pilots' lawyer Bruce Simon grilled the carrier's chief financial officer, questioning the numbers in Delta's restructuring plan.

"Your projection of your fuel expense is $100 million above what the market tells us today," said Simon, a lawyer for the Air Line Pilots Association, which represents Delta's 6,000 pilots.

Delta's plan for stemming its cash drain next year and regaining positive cash flow in 2007 was finalized in September, reflecting oil prices which peaked shortly after Hurricane Katrina.

The plan is based on an estimate of jet fuel priced at $1.73 per gallon in 2006 and 2007. That compares with current market forecasts of $1.69 a gallon, Simon said, adding that each penny of added fuel cost is equivalent to $25 million to $26 million in costs on an annual basis.

The price of jet fuel "has now moderated very significantly," Simon said before a courtroom packed with uniformed pilots and other observers.
Delta Chief Financial Officer Edward Bastian, in his second day on the witness stand, acknowledged that fuel prices had gone down, but said that big risks remained.

Under questioning from Simon, Bastian also acknowledged that the Atlanta-based carrier does not have a contingency plan in place in case of a strike, which the pilots have threatened if the court throws out their contract.
"We've made very clear that we think that if a strike were to occur it would be devastating for the company," he said.

Bastian said in a brief interview following the hearing that Delta still hopes to reach an out-of-court settlement with the pilots, though he said no formal talks were under way.
(Additional reporting by Paritosh Bansal)

It's good to see these Judges are realizing the weight of their decisions. Since forcing a contract on a union group (in general, not just pilots) is going against all those people, some whom even lost their lives, that fought so hard to get them. Although it is a shame the unions went corrupt as well.

When it really comes down to it, I see Delta trying to take more from the pilots because it shows the "non union" employees what NOT to do---Unionize. "We'll take care of you, if you don't...."(hence the Union Busting thoughts) I think we ALL need to take pay cuts, but not mainly the pilots. The judge seems to be able to see that. She said in the last round that pay cuts would be "unfair to the lowest paid Delta pilots." When the Delta lawyer stated that the other 44,000 employees took pay cuts, she said "well, they can get other jobs. The pilots have a certain skill set, and you are stuck with them...." We'll see if she continues to profess this throughout the hearings.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
YourPilotFriend said:
It's good to see these Judges are realizing the weight of their decisions. Since forcing a contract on a union group (in general, not just pilots) is going against all those people, some whom even lost their lives, that fought so hard to get them. Although it is a shame the unions went corrupt as well.

Judges actually do, not one Judge in bankruptcy courts have voided union contracts at the request of the airlines.....

I hope Lee Moak sees the opportunity here. The judge is obviously leaning towards the pilots at this point, so moving ahead too rapidly with a settlement might not be the best idea. Slowing down the negotiations and being a little bit more hard-line might be the best option for DALPA. You might just be able to get away with a third of what Delta is asking for if the MEC plays their cards rights.

FWIW, here at Aloha we were supposed to have a ruling this morning. we feel good about our case against the company, and apparently the company thought so today too. just minutes before the ruling was to be given, the company lawyers asked for some more time to negotiate with the union. an extension to 3pm was given, that time came and the company still wasnt ready. so now there is an extension til tomorrow morning at the companys request.

we feel that maybe now the company might finally start negotiating in good faith.

good luck on your fight guys!

Midnight Mike said:
Judges actually do, not one Judge in bankruptcy courts have voided union contracts at the request of the airlines.....

That's because not a single judge has ever had to actually rule on the issue. When you negotiate a settlement it takes the ball out of the judges hand.

PCL_128 said:
Slowing down the negotiations and being a little bit more hard-line might be the best option for DALPA.

I think that's exactly what you're seeing. On the 25th DALPA gave managment a new offer to include a cost on items that were previously uncosted because the judge said there was a cost to them (the big one was scope and the 79 seat jet). My personal guess is that DALPA added the price of scope, subtracted other stuff and the total offer remains at $90million..but that's just (hopeful) speculation on my part.

As for the pace of negotiations, can't get much slower. The two sides last met on the 15th.

YourPilotFriend said:
some whom even lost their lives, that fought so hard to get them. .

People lost their lives to get a good contract? Give me a f'ing break.

Finally a BK Judge that's eyes aren't clouded over by a management profit and loss statement.

erj-145mech said:
People lost their lives to get a good contract? Give me a f'ing break.

Finally a BK Judge that's eyes aren't clouded over by a management profit and loss statement.

Easy. I think he meant organized labor in general. A movie called Matewan is pretty hard core. Alot of the common work rules of today that are standard were a result of unions. (40 hour work week, etc...)

Many labor disputes were settled with guns.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled unabashed union hating on Channel FlightInfo.

Latest resources

Back