Bin laden helo crash site

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigshooter107

Any one catch the photos of the tail rotor of the helo that crashed during this operation. It appears to be a "closed" rotor system. The 160th soar flys uh60 little birds and shinnoks, maybe kiowas, but the only helicopters that I know of that utilize this type of rotor are the coast guard dolphin and the now defunct commanche. Tail boom may even have some faceting, low radar cross section... Hmmmm.........

The 160th flies mh60's, mh47's and if course the little bird. Something tells me they might have flown into Afghanistan this time. There frequent customers were seals/delta/SF types.

I have to say that as a prior army pilot, I was very disappointed that special forces helicopter pilots did not recognize that landing in a high density altitude, confined area with tall perimeter walls could lead to settling with power and the subsequent crash. For those you aren't up on helo aerdynamics, the tip of the rotor generates a vortice like an airplane wing that usually is despersed by the ground and spread out away from the helicopter. But in a high walled compound, the vortices are forced back up into the rotor system resulting in loss of lift. The pilots then probably pulled more power to stop the sink rate which actually made matters worse by creating larger vortices. The only way out is to have enough altitude and fly forward out of the confined area, which they did not have. With all the planning that went into this strike, you would have thought some IP would have caught this possibility.

I would suspend any judgment what-so-ever until we get all the facts. It could have been a failure of some kind, a tangled up drop line, who knows! Way to diss a guy while he's probably still shaken up.

Latest resources

Back