• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big-name politicians line up behind Southwest in Dallas flight battle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now that Southwest is the healthiest US carrier they want to change the rules.

I've never been to DAL and don't know how big the airport is, but would WN be so eager to change the rules if it meant giving up gates? What if it meant being slot restricted?

I think Mugs' post authored by Jim Wright says it all. The ammendment should not be repealed.

GP

yaks said:
How hypocritical of SWA to support the repeal while also supporting the limits on gates and flights so they (still) won't really have to compete with anyone out of LUV. How ironic that they are now committing the same types of deeds they once railed against when they were getting started.

WTFO? Documentation to support your opinion please?

GuppyPuppy said:
I've never been to DAL and don't know how big the airport is, but would WN be so eager to change the rules if it meant giving up gates? What if it meant being slot restricted?

Would AA allow any of this at DFW? DAL is a tiny airport that cannot support much growth. I can't believe that anyone would believe Jim Wright, especially when his lips are moving.:rolleyes:

Mugs said:
or have to compromise regional passenger safety by overlapping takeoff and landing patterns.

uh ha haa hhahaa HA HHAA HA huh hu...

sorry, it just looked so funny seeing it in writing.

Last Thurs night we got on a UAL bus from DFW to ORD, i put on the headphones and listened to ground.
We were directed to 35L and got half way down when they switched us to 36L so we had to taxi accross the bridge to the other side of the airport.
All the while we are taxing they are telling planes to pull up and shut down.
Our Cpt. is really ripping DFW air traffic control but the pass. don't seem to care much.
We find 38 planes ahead of us with about a 2 hr. delay and 47 planes behind us on just this runway!
In between the pleas of crews with their wheels up times someone came on the freq. and said " And they want SWA to come here".
We were the last to get off 36L when they turned the airport around with a wind shift and T-storms to the South.
Anyone know what the rest of the night was like there and what caused the mess?

I have a lot of friends working at Southwest. I fly on Southwest when I travel. I think Southwest currently has the most viable business model in the industry. I think their work ethic, service, management, and style are examples of what EVERY industry in this country should attempt to emulate.

That being said, I am disappointed in Southwest Airlines' attempt to repeal the WA.

It's kind of like hearing a child tell his or her first lie. You still love them but are a little disappointed at the same time. The WA was an AGREEMENT that the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas, as well as Southwest Airlines and Herb, agreed to.

Those conditions having been met by the closing of the two old commercial airports, bonds were sold, guaranteeing their purchasers -- in writing, on the good faith and credit of the two cities -- that there would be no commercial passenger flights at Love, Greater Southwest or Meacham.

There was never any inclusion in the ammendment to set a time frame or a cut-off date. If there was ever any intent for such, Herb and Southwest Airlines management at the time would have asked for it, along with asking for the right to fly to the adjoining states. They did not.

It was well understood by each and every party, including Southwest Airlines, that this was an agreement that was to put this issue to rest once and for all, that all parties would abide by it and that none would attempt to unravel it.

So why should this agreement, signed off by Herb himsef, now be repealed? Like the above post stated, a deal is a deal. Southwest Airlines, asking to repeal the WA, is attempting to break a deal. And this, in my opinion, goes against all the claims to fairness and honest business practice that Southwest Airlines is known for.

I know you guys that work there have a vested interest to see your compamy prosper, as well you should. Well, your wish has been granted over these many years through your hard work and dedication to your company and it's customers. So why do this with the WA?

To continue with this campaign, to me, is a sign of greed and breaking your word. And if it continues, it will blemish an otherwise stellar image of a great airline.

There was a time in this country when a persons word was their bond. Two men could simply look each other in the eye, make a verbal agreement, and shake on it. Unfortunately, our society today is based more on what a person can get away with, regardless of their word. Even written legal contracts today are worth little more than the paper they are printed on.

I would never teach my kids to go back on their word or break a deal, regardless of the potential monetary gain. Some things, like integrity, are worth more than money. And lets all be very honest here. That is EXACTLY what the repeal of the WA is all about, breaking ones word to make an extra buck. Not safety, not better service, just greed. Sorry, but thats JMHO. Flame away.

Besides, a deal is a deal.

Last edited:
The WA was an AGREEMENT that the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas, as well as Southwest Airlines and Herb, agreed to.

SWA and Herb didn't agree with it, they had to live with it. The co. wasn't around when they made everyone sign an agreement to move to DFW. The WA did it's job. Now there is not purpose in it.

boz, I luv ya man, but I'd like to suggest that you research the history of DFW and the WA before you take Jim Wrights word as the last word on the subject.

The WA is an after the fact deal. The first phrase you quote was referencing the original agreement to build DFW, and SWA had no part of that agreement if I understand correctly. The WA itself came about ten or so years later, and SWA did "agree" to it. Most likely because they had NO choice.

There is a lot of good info right here on FI. Do a search, or google it. There's a whole lot more to the conflict between Ft. Worth, Dallas, AA, and SWA than Jim Wright leads you to believe.

enigma

bozt45 said:
I have a lot of friends working at Southwest. I fly on Southwest when I travel. I think Southwest currently has the most viable business model in the industry. I think their work ethic, service, management, and style are examples of what EVERY industry in this country should attempt to emulate.

That being said, I am disappointed in Southwest Airlines' attempt to repeal the WA.

It's kind of like hearing a child tell his or her first lie. You still love them but are a little disappointed at the same time. The WA was an AGREEMENT that the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas, as well as Southwest Airlines and Herb, agreed to.

Those conditions having been met by the closing of the two old commercial airports, bonds were sold, guaranteeing their purchasers -- in writing, on the good faith and credit of the two cities -- that there would be no commercial passenger flights at Love, Greater Southwest or Meacham.

There was never any inclusion in the ammendment to set a time frame or a cut-off date. If there was ever any intent for such, Herb and Southwest Airlines management at the time would have asked for it, along with asking for the right to fly to the adjoining states. They did not.

It was well understood by each and every party, including Southwest Airlines, that this was an agreement that was to put this issue to rest once and for all, that all parties would abide by it and that none would attempt to unravel it.

So why should this agreement, signed off by Herb himsef, now be repealed? Like the above post stated, a deal is a deal. Southwest Airlines, asking to repeal the WA, is attempting to break a deal. And this, in my opinion, goes against all the claims to fairness and honest business practice that Southwest Airlines is known for.

I know you guys that work there have a vested interest to see your compamy prosper, as well you should. Well, your wish has been granted over these many years through your hard work and dedication to your company and it's customers. So why do this with the WA?

To continue with this campaign, to me, is a sign of greed and breaking your word. And if it continues, it will blemish an otherwise stellar image of a great airline.

There was a time in this country when a persons word was their bond. Two men could simply look each other in the eye, make a verbal agreement, and shake on it. Unfortunately, our society today is based more on what a person can get away with, regardless of their word. Even written legal contracts today are worth little more than the paper they are printed on.

I would never teach my kids to go back on their word or break a deal, regardless of the potential monetary gain. Some things, like integrity, are worth more than money. And lets all be very honest here. That is EXACTLY what the repeal of the WA is all about, breaking ones word to make an extra buck. Not safety, not better service, just greed. Sorry, but thats JMHO. Flame away.

Besides, a deal is a deal.

I am very disappointed in your opinion. Not calling you a liar, just misguided and fearful of change.

Tell me where in the Wright Amendment it says no one should EVER challenge it?

A deal is a deal? Give me a break. You are trying to tell me every law and amendment passed should never be re-evaluated. Then you tell me its lying to try to legally and respectfully change a law or amendment. That is not how laws work in a Democracy.

You are right saying the WA had no time limit when passed. But that doesn't mean it should never be changed. Maybe it means it should have been changed when there was longer a need for it. And that date long since passed.

Last edited:
bozt45 said:

Greed? Look at the profit AA and CAL are now starting to pull down. The recovery is here and SWA needs fairness to STAY IN THE GAME. AA and CAL will profit handsomely every year the WA stays in force.

I say it is the greed of AA and CAL that will benefit from WA support, not SWA and the repeal. Repeal will just make the marketplace more competitively neutral.

Latest resources

Back