Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What has he done?

Why would anyone care if he was hired?

Oh yeah its true...He told us in my recurrent class about a month ago....Enjoy...get ready to learn a whole new way to fly the Saab.

I also don't know who this guy is. Can someone please fill me in on who he is, where he comes from, and why it could mean trouble for Chicago Express.

I'm really interested and would like some insight.
Thanks

Silverstein (aka Silverbells, Captain Calculator, et al) was DoT at PSA for a little over two years until resigning recently. Let's just say that he made a lot of changes here during his tenure. Some were good. Some were just annoying, like changing our flap speeds from 200 and 180 (set by Dornier) to 174 and 157. I'm sure he'll find a "better" way for you to fly your Saabs.

BTW, almost immediately after he left, we went back to the old (original) flap speeds.

DorkProp said:
Silverstein (aka Silverbells, Captain Calculator, et al) was DoT at PSA for a little over two years until resigning recently. Let's just say that he made a lot of changes here during his tenure. Some were good. Some were just annoying, like changing our flap speeds from 200 and 180 (set by Dornier) to 174 and 157. I'm sure he'll find a "better" way for you to fly your Saabs.

BTW, almost immediately after he left, we went back to the old (original) flap speeds.

It would be interesting to find out if the changes in flap speeds reduced wear / mx expense on the flap actuators. I've worked for a company that had lower flap speeds than recommended by the AFM and the story I heard was that it was simply to save money. I have no idea whether it did or didn't. The way I look at things is that it's the company's airplane and I'll fly it however they want it flown as long as it's legal, prudent, and safe.

The reason he changed the flap speeds was to reduce the number of flap over-speeds we were experiencing. He supposedly used heretofore unknown aerodynamic formulae to calculate the most ideal speed for flaps. We recieved a 5 or 6 page training bulletin explaining the logic behind the new, seemingly arbitrary speeds.

The flaw in the whole debacle was revealed when flap over-speed occurances were not affected. Most of the flap over-speeds occured after take-off when the flaps were accidentally left down due to distraction or whatever and the plane accelerated through 200 knots in the climb. Very few of the occurances actually happened while configuring for landing, where the new speeds really had their significance.

Latest resources

Back