• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big Midsize Jet Info Thread!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would also highly recommend a used Falcon 50. You will never worry about your 5,000 ft. runway. It's bit more expensive to maintain than other biz-jets in the same price range. If you can find one with -3D modified engines even better. Also remember the Falcon 50 is a true trans-Atlantic aircraft that can also go the other way, it can do SFO-HNL all the time with a dry footprint.

As for the Jetstar, absolutely not. Not with a home base runway of 5,000 ft. Among many other problems. Not to get me wrong, I loved flying the Jetstar, but its time has pasted.

Last edited:
The Lear 60 is great, awsome airplane. I love flying it, and our PAX love the airplane. It really is a all around sound airplane. The only thing I hate about it is when you do load it up with alot of people. Anything past 5 really, you need to pay attention to the balance. It goes forward CG fast. But you can work with it.

Dont have any time in anything on your list other than a 60. That being said for the mission we use it for it works well. The CG is not as bad as the 25/35 series. It can go in and out of a 5000 ft strip. You can't use it Part 135 with the 60% rule however. Dosen't sound like an issue for you however. Usual landing distance is about 3300 ft, thats on one without the spin up kit. The kit will cut the landing distance by a couple hundred feet. Only the really early serial numbers do not have that. Learjet has also been offering a new brake for the 60. However some operators have been reporting cracks and problems with the new brakes. I have talked to pilots who have landed with them and they love them, but our company decided to not do the upgrade until the mx issues with them are sorted out.

We are based out of MDW. We can get to Cabo or St Thomas or LA non-stop without too much of a problem.

Would be happy to talk to you more about it. PM me and I can give you a phone number to call and answer any other question about the 60 you might have from a pilots point of view.

CapnVegetto said:
OK folks, here's the deal. My boss is seriously talking midsize jet. He wants one, and is willing to spend about $7 to $8 mil for one. Less or possibly more depending on what he gets. Here's the specs:

6 to 8 people and a lot of baggage off a 5,000 foot runway, 500 foot elevation. How far can he go? In the winter? Summer? What are some good jet suggestions? He wants plenty of baggage space and and IN-FLIGHT APU (as per my suggestion). Some jets to be tossed around:

Citation XLS
Citation 650
Citation Sovereign
Hawker (new or older)
Learjet 60
Astra
Jetstar
Falcon 20/200

I've got some time in a CE-650 and I know it's a bad runway hog, so it's just about out, but what about a VI or VII? Is it better?

I'd love some real-life numbers from you guys, especially the operators of said jets. Namely fuel burns, real-life (not aircraft salesman) range, operating costs (not just DOC, full costs per hour based on about 200 hours) MX issues, and basically the goods and bads of what you fly!! I plan on doing my own research, but I'd like to use you guys (the pilots) to weed out any horse$hit a salesman will try to shove down my throat.

We're operating a Citation II right now, and he is complaining about speed and size, wanting something bigger. If anyone would like to PM me I'll be glad to provide my phone # if you'd like to chat. Thanks for your help in advance!!!
PM me and we'll talk. Boots or not (They're actually a plus, not a minus.) tAstras are agruably the most bang for the buck out there.

'Sled

Last edited:
Stay away from the 20/200. The wet/contaminated runway numbers will severely limit you from a 5000' strip.

New Hawker 850XPi is a pretty nice airplane, while the baggage space is not cavernous by any means it is adequate....however the cost is upward of 13 mil .............

Falcon 50. im flying one now with -3d engines. Also used to fly the 50EX. -3d mod will almost let it do what the 50ex will do. We go to 410 to 430 all the time and do .80+ all the time. Fuel burns are low, runway performance is great, and it flys really nice. Cabin is pretty good, and baggage is good too.

I wasn't actually recommending the G-III, if you couldn't tell. It is a bad-a#* ride though!

Seriously though, the Falcon 50 variants would probably fit the bill...

ultrarunner said:
Capn, narrow this down a bit. How far does the boss WANT to go from that runway. What is the need going to be? Answer that and you can narrow your plane search quite a bit.

Keep in mind some of those planes above do NOT have an inflight APU. Most notably the 60. Astra too, I think, but not sure.

If you NEED/WANT good range year-round from that runway...summer and winter...I'd have the boss buck up the extra bucks for a Falcon 50. Doesn't have an in-flight APU, but it's a three-holer.

AND it meets all those other requirements.

Good luck

Later model Astras, (SPX and G100) in this price range, some have inflight APUs. Ours does. Light-off up to FL200 and use up to FL300.

Latest resources

Back