• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big Iron Radar Technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best case, within reason, stay VMC. If not possible, set the tilt to paint ground clutter at the top third of the screen. Leave the gain in Auto. If you screw with the gain, keep your hand on it until it's back in Auto.
If a contour/red blob encroaches closer than the top third, watch it!
If it gets close, it's either WX or TERRAIN, simple as that. Avoid it. Your beam should pass above, (the target goes away) if you're going to fly above the "blob/contour".
My best advice: Play with it every chance you get. Day, VMC compare the returns with what you see out the window. Mess with the gain (keeping your hand on it, until back in auto). Use it in your home airport area to see what is ground clutter, what is WX.
Some guys think they are "saving" the unit by leaving it off. USE IT! It won't hurt the new units and if it is bad for the "old" units, so be it.
I use it whenever I can't see ahead. IMC or darkness.
Remember, the return bounces off moisture. Significant turbulence can extend ABOVE, Laterally, or in the total absence of moisture. Worst of all, hail doesn't give much return, unless it's wet and can extend FAR above and downwind of a cell.
I'm sure others on here can add more. Be CAREFUL!

Last edited:
Red=Bad .....unless your on final ...and everyone else is landing. Then you go right on thru it. Seriously I have seen guys deviate 100's of miles around yellow and red..then get on final and follow 30 planes right thru the red sh!t.

xjlifer said:
Red=Bad .....unless your on final ...and everyone else is landing. Then you go right on thru it. Seriously I have seen guys deviate 100's of miles around yellow and red..then get on final and follow 30 planes right thru the red sh!t.

Yep. Crazy.

Follow Huck's advice. If you can't do that, stay green.TC

apdsm said:
Check Sporty's. Looks like they have several radar books/tapes. Archie Trammel is the expert. Very boring, dry video but tons of useful information.

I dare say that Archie's info is really only applicable to analouge radar and not digital. The newer radars are low power and high sensitivity. This takes a little different technique. Just my opinion...

What is this radar stuff, I just steer in the opposite direction that the ADF needle keeps jumping to!

xjlifer said:

:laugh:

So true...were you in MEM last week too?

He He Rook...nope I am getting a nice vacation due to the XJ Avro mem pull down

ptarmigan said:
Avoid Archie Trammel. Go to Dave Gwinn. Gwinn actually knows what he's talking about, and has the credentials to prove it, not just a self appointed "expert" like Trammel.

-Archie Trammell is recognized around the world as a leading expert in airborne radar systems. He has spent hundreds of hours in convective weather evaulating various weather detection devices. He has conducted over 600 radar seminars and developed many radar training programs for major airlines, government agencies and the military.

-Archie Trammell has trained pilots of every major airline, FAA, NASA and corporates on proper operation of weather radar.

-Over 35,000 professional pilots have been trained on these materials;
American, Alaska, Continental, Northwest, United, USAir, FAA, NASA, all military services and corporate flight departments.

Yea, this Trammell guy is some clown! He's fooled NASA, the military, and a majority of the major airlines!

Thanks Archie for your self promotion. ;-)

Actually, for those of us who have ACTUALLY worked in this stuff, we know the truth, as does NTSB. Maybe you should ask the judge that booted Trammel from hearings.

Trammel is pretty good if you never plan to fly anything bigger than a Beech Baron, I guess.

Latest resources

Back