Big Iron Radar Technique

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ptarmigan said:
Thanks Archie for your self promotion. ;-)

Actually, for those of us who have ACTUALLY worked in this stuff, we know the truth, as does NTSB. Maybe you should ask the judge that booted Trammel from hearings.

Trammel is pretty good if you never plan to fly anything bigger than a Beech Baron, I guess.

ACTUALLY worked in what stuff? What hearings? Details?

I can think of a couple of hearings that Trammel tried to get involved with but was found to be, let's just say, short on knowledge.

I would take Gwinn's resume over Trammels any day. Someone that not only knows how to use the stuff, how it works, and makes his courses interesting and fun, but someone that has ACTUALLY done it, as opposed to text book stuff and inane things that exceed the system capability.

In any event, judging from your posts in the "moving runway" thread, I can see that you have had a lot of exposure to the nuances of the physics involved and probably are an excellent judge of which one is actually more qualified.

ptarmigan said:
Avoid Archie Trammel. Go to Dave Gwinn. Gwinn actually knows what he's talking about, and has the credentials to prove it, not just a self appointed "expert" like Trammel.

http://www.davegwinn.com/

I agree, Dave Gwinn's presentation is much better, and he has a sense of humor. I do think that you can get some useful information from both presentations. But, if I had to pick one and base my weather avoidance success on that one choice, it is definately Dave Gwinn. Oh yeah, and he doesn't constantly say, "DBZ" for four long gruelling hours.

ptarmigan said:
I can think of a couple of hearings that Trammel tried to get involved with but was found to be, let's just say, short on knowledge.

I would take Gwinn's resume over Trammels any day. Someone that not only knows how to use the stuff, how it works, and makes his courses interesting and fun, but someone that has ACTUALLY done it, as opposed to text book stuff and inane things that exceed the system capability.

In any event, judging from your posts in the "moving runway" thread, I can see that you have had a lot of exposure to the nuances of the physics involved and probably are an excellent judge of which one is actually more qualified.

I have no problem agreeing Gwinn may be more qualified, entertaining, experienced, useful, etc. I have not read his material or been to his seminar so I really do not know. My point was, considering the fact that NASA, the FAA, etc. rely on Trammell for training speaks for itself. Calling him a self-appointed expert does not seem accurate..

Dude,

Deviatin is fer sissies!!!!!!

Just be goin on dat ole flight plan, and buckle up and like hang on!!!!!!!!! Dats da way,, u-huh u-huh, i likes it u-huh u-huh!!!!!

AWWWWWW YYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Naw bro, I aint serious----Do I ever be serious abouts anything? Dat Archie Trammel dude is da man, and dat video is freaking packed with lots o gooodies!!

I bet dat Archie dude scored big time wit da ladies, cause he's got game and mad skillz!!!!!!

There's a good explanation in "The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual". The book also has handy explanations of just about any term or system used by a professional pilot. Check out any online bookstore for more info.

Sorry don't mean to sound like an ad. Just trying to be helpful.

cheers

At my old airline (Air Middy), we used to tape a piece of paper over Archie's face on the TV, with cut-outs only for his eyes and mouth...

made the hours somehow go by quicker

Many operators use him, they just don't know any better. Problem is that, in truth, so many have no clue at all, that they grasp onto anything out there. Those that DO understand how the systems really work make a clear choice. NASA human factors people don't necessarily talk to those that do the science (imagine that, a govt entity that's disfunctional, surely not?), and, of course, FAA is always so perfect....

Honeywell, who DOES understand the systems and how they operate, made a clear choice. Guess who ALPA calls as an expert witness when required?

FN FAL said:
A good starting point would be Archie Trammel's video. If you can survive that, you can survive anything.

:beer:

Well said.....avoid the 40dbz avoid the 40dbz 40dbz 40 dbz 40 dbzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzz. lights out.

Latest resources

Back