Big changes are in the air at Southwest part2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Darn it, I knew it!

Oh-ryan - A+? They do realize that there are 23 letters after "C" in the alphabet right? Would having 4 seating groups (A,B,C,D) been too much for the flying public to digest?

Sorry dude - I don’t want no stinkin’ A+ boarding.

I am going for the full chimichanga...

»»» Platinum Boarding «««

Say hello to (A+++)² Platinum Boarding card! :D

Last edited:
Just like a spinning top southwests time is winding down. Will still make some money but relative to carriers with international landing slots and the ability to execute international ops NOW southwest will limp along as more skybusses slowly eat away at them. If you hadn't guessed I'm not a big fan of southwest although i do have a couple friends that work there and wish them the best. LCC's like southwest have been a cancer to the industry for some time and now have spawned more of the same. There also seems to be a "short man, small airplane complex" for many pilots there. Just my opinion and I'm sure you will inform me I'm wrong.

Be careful now. You'll have the LUV crew poking at you saying how they're the ones keeping up the "best pay and working conditions" in the industry!:rolleyes:

Sedona,
Which part of the legacy plan do you think we should follow? The furloughs, the paycuts, the management bonuses? I am just curious...why don't you enlighten us.

Want to see a man start pacing? Ask, "Where are $600,000,000.00 in annual cost cuts going to come from Mr. Kelly?"

Hedge what? Yeah, Yeah, hedge this!

Time to come to Jesus.

Sedona,
Which part of the legacy plan do you think we should follow? The furloughs, the paycuts, the management bonuses? I am just curious...why don't you enlighten us.

He didn't tell you to follow any legacy. He said that Southwest should put in some sort of inflight entertainment (the F/A's don't count, sorry). Airtran's got XM radio. Frontier has live TV. Jetblue has both. VA will probably wind up having something even better.

Follow the legacies? C'mon. The legacies are following the aforementioned companies already.

Southwest just has a reasonably priced (non-assigned) seat. That's it. And it's not good enough anymore.

I am certainly not right about everything (far from it), but this issue is crystal clear because I know that I personally hate not having a seat. Byond that, I wish SWA good luck in their re-tooling.

hmmm...oys hates not having a seat, we better change our procedure.

Be careful now. You'll have the LUV crew poking at you saying how they're the ones keeping up the "best pay and working conditions" in the industry!:rolleyes:

Delta showed the industry how to CUT pay and bennies and they looked great in their DB uniforms.

Want to see a man start pacing? Ask, "Where are $600,000,000.00 in annual cost cuts going to come from Mr. Kelly?"

Hedge what? Yeah, Yeah, hedge this!

Time to come to Jesus.

HA !!! Unlike others, SWA's management didn't talk furloughs, or look for pay/benefit cuts as other have.

Seems that is the first place all the others go. SWA will work this out internally, and unlike Ferris, lorenzo, Wolf, Goodwin, Tilton, Mullin, Allen, Carty, Shugrue, Siegel, Steenland, Arpey, Creighton and others, you will see that the management here will not be out to screw the employees while they run away with millions in bonus money paid for by their employees.

The mood around here is not one of gloom and doom ( as much as some would like it to be). Yesterday's party was as crowded as ever with employees and their guests enjoying themselves, and there wasn't any crying in the beer, as we all had lots of fun.

Remember, SWA has in their past, slowed and even stopped growth. From January 2002-January 2004, SWA only hired 300+ pilots. We still showed profits...employees were still hired ( albeit, slower) and the morale was still high.

The weekly deck parties continued, as did the Annual Awards Banquet, as did the Hangar parties that we have a couple of times a year.

As much as some would like to see it here, I really don't think that you will see the same type of "destruction" at SWA that we've seen in the rest of the industry.

HA !!! Unlike others, SWA's management didn't talk furloughs, or look for pay/benefit cuts as other have.

Seems that is the first place all the others go. SWA will work this out internally, and unlike Ferris, lorenzo, Wolf, Goodwin, Tilton, Mullin, Allen, Carty, Shugrue, Siegel, Steenland, Arpey, Creighton and others, you will see that the management here will not be out to screw the employees while they run away with millions in bonus money paid for by their employees.

The mood around here is not one of gloom and doom ( as much as some would like it to be). Yesterday's party was as crowded as ever with employees and their guests enjoying themselves, and there wasn't any crying in the beer, as we all had lots of fun.

Remember, SWA has in their past, slowed and even stopped growth. From January 2002-January 2004, SWA only hired 300+ pilots. We still showed profits...employees were still hired ( albeit, slower) and the morale was still high.

The weekly deck parties continued, as did the Annual Awards Banquet, as did the Hangar parties that we have a couple of times a year.

As much as some would like to see it here, I really don't think that you will see the same type of "destruction" at SWA that we've seen in the rest of the industry.

Yeah..We've got a thirty year hedge on Kool-Aid:rolleyes:

Thank-you for the great post...I couldn't agree more with your very astute assessment.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back