• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big changes are in the air at Southwest part2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
She prefers to travel on Southwest on these late notice trips because she has the ability to get a window or aisle seat, especially if it is a longer flight. All that's needed is to check in online early the day before.

How early is she usually doing the online check-in?

I have been doing it anywhere from 18-24 hours prior to my flight (I believe 24 hours is max allowed) and most of the time I get either B or C boarding priority. It seems to me like nowadays everyone is checking in online 23 hours and 59 minutes prior to their flight.

From what I hear the change is not to assigned seating. What the change is that for an additional $5 or $10 you will get an A+ boarding card. That A+ will allow you to board right after the pre-boards. That way there would be no problem with someone paying for an assigned seat only to have it been taken by a through passenger.

How early is she usually doing the online check-in?

I have been doing it anywhere from 18-24 hours prior to my flight (I believe 24 hours is max allowed) and most of the time I get either B or C boarding priority. It seems to me like nowadays everyone is checking in online 23 hours and 59 minutes prior to their flight.

She is guilty of that... She usually checks in real close to 24 hours before, she actually just did in the car yesterday with the crackberry. Checked in 13 minutes after the window opened, and was number 15 or so, so it sounds like more and more people are checking in as soon as possible. There is even an online company that will check in for you exactly 24 hours ahead of time, basically guaranteeing you an "A" boarding pass or your money back - I think it costs 5 bucks. I think Southwest was going to sue them or something, I am not sure, but I did hear they were trying to shut it down. Here are a couple..
www.boardfirst.com
www.checkinsooner.com

http://www.checkinsooner.com/

Last edited:
From what I hear the change is not to assigned seating. What the change is that for an additional $5 or $10 you will get an A+ boarding card. That A+ will allow you to board right after the pre-boards. That way there would be no problem with someone paying for an assigned seat only to have it been taken by a through passenger.

A+?

They do realize that there are 23 letters after "C" in the alphabet right? Would having 4 seating groups (A,B,C,D) been too much for the flying public to digest?

I guess the silver lining to all of this is that this will be the first A+ some folks we ever see in their lifetime.

Still a cattle car no matter how you look at it. Get with the times....get some live tv or something.

Why don't you give Gary Kelly a call in Dallas and tell him how to run the world's most successful airline?

Just like a spinning top southwests time is winding down. Will still make some money but relative to carriers with international landing slots and the ability to execute international ops NOW southwest will limp along as more skybusses slowly eat away at them. If you hadn't guessed I'm not a big fan of southwest although i do have a couple friends that work there and wish them the best. LCC's like southwest have been a cancer to the industry for some time and now have spawned more of the same. There also seems to be a "short man, small airplane complex" for many pilots there. Just my opinion and I'm sure you will inform me I'm wrong.

Just like a spinning top southwests time is winding down. Will still make some money but relative to carriers with international landing slots and the ability to execute international ops NOW southwest will limp along as more skybusses slowly eat away at them. If you hadn't guessed I'm not a big fan of southwest although i do have a couple friends that work there and wish them the best. LCC's like southwest have been a cancer to the industry for some time and now have spawned more of the same. There also seems to be a "short man, small airplane complex" for many pilots there. Just my opinion and I'm sure you will inform me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

Latest resources

Back