Big annoncement by CAL tomorrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think I found the questions. Here you go:

1. We foolishly gave up scope in the mid and late 90s. We all know that was letting the cat out of the bag. We allowed UNLIMITED 50 seaters, and then gave some allowance to 70 seaters when times were great (1999, 2000). That will never happen to that extent again. We may modify some scope (like we did in the last TA), because we will always have to negotiate a bit in any bargaining.

2. We also balked at having our "squadron" buds flying the 50 seat RJs when times were good. We never thought something like 9-11 would happen---totally changing the landscape. But, as RJs grew and started replacing our smaller mainline planes, we started to change our minds, which people CAN do. We aren't droids, even though you may think so. We actually got pay rates for CR9s and E175s for this last TA. SkyWest will be flying CR9 equipment, but not the full allotment of seats. IF they want that, they can see we have the pay rate already.

3. Capped the seats at 50? That is called scope. Inefficient aircraft? That is not our fault--that is management's fault with respect to deals made with the feed companies. They need to get leaner, and our company cannot make outragous fuel deals with the likes of Ron Reber at SkyWest. That needs to change, and Comair is learning that their feed is expensive, and you will too. We are not feeding you, you are feeding us. IF our company wants cheaper feed and you don't want to provide it, they will go to Mesa. Don't expect your pay rates to go up much, because you are in competition with Mesa for our business. Sad but true.

AS far as creating this problem, we probably did. Our TA had to give a little, primarily because we were and are in BK, and a judge was watching. Overall, we have pay rates for CR9s and up, and if they want to use those planes (with the full 90 seats and up), they know what to do. We also have weight limits on gross weight, and that CR9 SkyWest uses with only 76 seats fits in there. We set the limit and we gave a limit on numbers too. We are addressing the problem the best way we could in the situation we are under---BK. You cannot deny that we were in a corner when we signed the TA, but it was the way to go in the end.

Bye Bye--General Lee

exactly what Continental pilots have to prevent from happening. i hope we can. it's only a matter of time before the play is made.

the term 'regional jet' needs to be shredded, burned and vaporized. the term applies to an Embraer or Canadair as much as it does to a BBJ. Embraer and Canadair are just as responsible for the wage-lowering label as any group is.

it's a wonder that the dc9, Fokker 28/100, BAC 111 didn't have a large Express label on them straight from the factory.

clever marketing and media promotion of the term 'regional pilots' has cost pilots a respectable level of earning. that effect has propogated over to the mainline operation as an unfortunate part of negotiations.

fact is...no one wins with scope. scope would be entirely unnecessary if pilots could trust their management. i'd venture a guess that earnings by all parties - management, shareholders, pilots - would be similar or better if their were simply mainline carriers flying all mainline labelled airplanes regardless of size.

but as the field plays out in this modern arrangement...i hope we at Continental are able to cling to our scope with ferocious vigor.

General Lee...Charter member of the Famous Actors Guild.

so, Gen, now that I work at a mainline, does what I say mean more????
Mookie

Present the facts, and I will debate them, regardless if you are at a mainline or not. I do not discriminate. If you make a good point, I will agree with you. It is as simple as that. If you are at SkyWest though, I will still make fun of you. Sorry.

Bye Bye--General Lee

exactly what Continental pilots have to prevent from happening. i hope we can. it's only a matter of time before the play is made.

the term 'regional jet' needs to be shredded, burned and vaporized. the term applies to an Embraer or Canadair as much as it does to a BBJ. Embraer and Canadair are just as responsible for the wage-lowering label as any group is.

it's a wonder that the dc9, Fokker 28/100, BAC 111 didn't have a large Express label on them straight from the factory.

clever marketing and media promotion of the term 'regional pilots' has cost pilots a respectable level of earning. that effect has propogated over to the mainline operation as an unfortunate part of negotiations.

fact is...no one wins with scope. scope would be entirely unnecessary if pilots could trust their management. i'd venture a guess that earnings by all parties - management, shareholders, pilots - would be similar or better if their were simply mainline carriers flying all mainline labelled airplanes regardless of size.

but as the field plays out in this modern arrangement...i hope we at Continental are able to cling to our scope with ferocious vigor.

Good points. But, scope is needed because managements change. And, look at Comair and ASA. They both went for the money on their previous contracts, and left out scope, thinking they could not possibly be replaced. Look what is happening to them now. Can the RJDC go after other regionals?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nothing is more important than scope. I have high hopes that all mainline MEC's can keep it in house from here on out. It would be better for everyone in the long run and pilots might start getting along instead of fighting.

Latest resources

Back