• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bid Period 5? DAL/NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But not that fast....My plan for a winter of skiing every day is kaput, left 1200 hr sick on the table.....dumb.....

Everybody thought DCC was going to be mid Nov to early Dec.... if you were really going to cash in the sick time and you were going to wait until next month then you haven't been paying attention for the the last six months. Yes, Oct 30 was a surprise, but a surprise by weeks, not months.

Sounds like all talk to me (kinda like all the NWA retirements)

The TWG will determine, IN THE FUTURE, when bid period one is. It's not DCC, believe me. DCC surprised about 99% of everyone involved.

Which is wierd because Occam predicted 1 Nov about 2 weeks ago and said it may float by a week or so. The people that were taken by surprise really weren't paying much attention it appears.

Everybody thought DCC was going to be mid Nov to early Dec.... if you were really going to cash in the sick time and you were going to wait until next month then you haven't been paying attention for the the last six months. Yes, Oct 30 was a surprise, but a surprise by weeks, not months.

Sounds like all talk to me (kinda like all the NWA retirements)

Well my first trip for NOV is on the 10 th and that was the plan. I figured we would have had 2/3 three days after the DOJ ruling to act not 2/3 hrs. Burned some guys trying to retire under NWA rules too.

Heyas,

DAL calls their bid months "bid periods". "Bid period 5" is that bid month that happens after bid periods 1-4 during the transition from NWA rules to the new JPWA.

I realize that sounds like an assinine answer, but it's important to the rest of the process. It is during bid period 5 that a LOT of changes happen for NWA guys.

The transition working group (TWG) is a group made up of NWA guys, DAL guys, NWA maganement and DAL management. Their goal is to transition pilots from the NWA CBA to the new joint CBA. This isn't something you do overnight, so there is a plan to transition from one to the other, and it is done over the course of 5 bid months. It just so happens that all of the big changes, and the final transition happens in the last month, or bid period 5.

This will be done on a fleet by fleet basis, so "bid period 5" will happen at different times for different fleets. It happens 5 months AFTER the TWG designates the fleet as starting the transition (or bid period 1). WHEN it happens is up to the TWG, and so far NO fleets have started the transition.

I have heard that the -400 will be the first fleet to start, and it is some months away from starting bid period 1.

There are some snafus (naturally). First, no one expected it DCC to happen so fast. Second, a majority of the pilot group, right or wrong, decided to ignore most of stuff published about this already, and has bombarded the TWG with enough questions to cause a gridlock.

Lastly, the TWG already has it's hands full with a few near-grievance issues because, surprise surprise, DAL wants to interpret the contract differently than what was agreed upon.

I have to agree with Flying Sig....it was coming within weeks, if not days when it they pulled the trigger. For such a serious decision, waiting until the last second, especially when management is concerned, was moronic.

I should add that none of this affects DAL guys, so to expect them to know the ins and outs is unrealistic. The best source of information is either the NWALPA Webboard, PtP or Contract Admin.

Nu

Last edited:
So for all of the folks that didn't "get to retire" because of the rushed DCC, are you gonna stay on for awhile, or move on down the line fairly quickly once you get your equity?

What's the financial difference between retiring @NWA vs. Delta?

Waiting till after the last minute to retire...priceless...?

Latest resources

Back