Bfr/ipc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

135pilot

Can you start logging PIC during recurrency training or do you have to wait until the recurrency/proficiency training phase is completed.

You have to be current to act as PIC, therefore you cannot log PIC unless you are current.

You can LOG PIC even if you're not current. You just can't ACT as PIC.

Notice you won't find anything about being current.
§ 61.51 Pilot logbooks
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or

(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.
As opposed to

§ 61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

a) General experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and— [edited for brevity]
There is a huge difference between Logging PIC and Acting as PIC, when it comes to the letter of the law.

You have to be current to act as PIC, therefore you cannot log PIC unless you are current.

Let's pretend your 90-day night landing currency has expired. Who is PIC while you perform the 3 takeoffs and landings required to be current?

Who says you have to take someone up with you to become current?

Well...then that person would just be stupid to go up alone. My point is that no one HAS to be with you to keep your currency. Case in point: When I was instructing during one summer I had gone out of night currency. A student really wanted to do his commercial x/c that night, so I told him I had to do a quick 3 landings and we could go. No one needed to be in the airplane with me on those landings.

Very good point.

What dogismycopilot is getting at, is the peson is going up solo to regain his currency.

My bad...I must've read dog's comment wrong. But that is exactly what I was getting at as well.

Latest resources

Back