Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VADriver

Its is that time again......

Curious what the latest and most effective way to renew. Are online renewals still the way to go?

I am sure this is asked often... thanks....

There should be plenty of responses. Personally, I've used the Gleim FIRC and ACR service the last three times I've renewed, and I plan to do so next time as well. It's a painless process, and their customer service has always been top notch.

Thanks.....

I've looked into another way since my post. I am in a Glider club... I may within 24 months apply for a Glider CFI add on rating. The AFG is a 25 question test for the glider add on.

One way to renew the CFI is to take the any CFI written test. Then, it appears take the results and an 8710 to a FSDO for the renewal. Is this acceptable?

Also, just to confirm, like the medicals, the CFI expires 24 month later on the last date of the month of issuance? So a CFI issued 5 April 2008, expires April 30 2010.

(yeah I've been out of it. :) )

For the expiration, that sounds right. Or you could look on the certificate for the expiration date. :) I'm afraid I'm not the guy to ask for your other questions, but someone should come along to answer them pretty soon.

Thanks.....

I've looked into another way since my post. I am in a Glider club... I may within 24 months apply for a Glider CFI add on rating. The AFG is a 25 question test for the glider add on.

One way to renew the CFI is to take the any CFI written test. Then, it appears take the results and an 8710 to a FSDO for the renewal. Is this acceptable?

Also, just to confirm, like the medicals, the CFI expires 24 month later on the last date of the month of issuance? So a CFI issued 5 April 2008, expires April 30 2010.

(yeah I've been out of it. :) )

The best way to renew is by whatever means works best for you. The FIRC, either in person or on-line, is OK because you can’t fail. It is a non-threatening way to renew. The renewal by flight test is OK too but it could result in a failure and that could be a problem.

Please review the FAR I’ve posted here and also the FAA Order 8900.1 to ASI’s. You can see that the Order is more permissive sounding than the FAR. As such you may be able to renew by just going to the FSDO and showing that you’re regularly involved in the evaluation of pilots. That would qualify for renewal without a FIRC or a flight test. Of course, a renewal of a CFI always occurs when a flight instructor passes a practical test for the additon of a flight instructor additional rating, such as adding a CFI-I or a CFI-G, ect.

Regarding the renewal date: You have a 4-calandar month renewal window to renew and still keep your same expiration date 24-months later. So if your CFI expires on May 31, 2010, you can apply for renewal from February 1 through May 31, 2010, and still get a renewal date of May 31, 2012, (24-months later). However, if that person renewed earlier than February 1, then the new expiration date will be 24-calandar months from the month of the renewal. Therefor, if the above person renewed in some method such as a test for an add-on rating or even by completing a FIRC on January 5, 2010, the new expiration date will be the end of January, 2012 (24-months later).

14 CFR Part 61

Sec. 61.197 - Renewal of flight instructor certificates.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by --
(1) Passing a practical test for --
(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or
(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or
(2) Presenting to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector --
(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt;
(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots; or
(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.
(b) The expiration month of a renewed flight instructor certificate shall be 24 calendar months from --
(1) The month the renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished; or
(2) The month of expiration of the current flight instructor certificate provided --
(i) The renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate, and
(ii) If the renewal is accomplished under paragraph (a)(2)(iii) of this section, the approved flight instructor refresher course must be completed within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate.
(c) The practical test required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device if the test is accomplished pursuant to an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

The following is from the FAA’s Order 8900.1 to Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASI) on this regulation:

C.Section 61.197(a)(2)(ii). Individuals have asked FAA about the intent of the statement, “in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots” in § 61.197(a)(2)(ii) and whether it has the same meaning as the old provision in § 61.197(b). The FAA rewrote § 61.197 to expand the renewal provisions, mainly to include other PICs. For example, the following PICs, who regularly evaluate pilots, have the same reward provisions as a PIC in a part 121 operation:

·A PIC of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 135,
·Corporate PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 125 or 133,
·U.S. military pilots who are PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft,
·U.S. military instructor pilots and examiners who regularly evaluate pilots under part 125 or 133, and
·Flight instructors who actively instruct in part 61 schools.
NOTE: FAA ASIs should review evidence of the applicant’s employment, which should clearly show that the applicant is in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots. ASIs also should have personal knowledge of the applicant’s flight instructing capabilities and qualities before renewing that applicant’s flight instructor certificate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.... it would seem taking the 25question add on glider CFI written test with a FSDO visit is easiest since I may take the CFI Glider practical within 24 months.

When was the last FAA update on the CFI question bank? IOW, the ASA CFI test prep book for 2008 is $2 while the 2010 book is $15. No big deal... just curious...

Thanks for the reply.... it would seem taking the 25question add on glider CFI written test with a FSDO visit is easiest since I may take the CFI Glider practical within 24 months.

When was the last FAA update on the CFI question bank? IOW, the ASA CFI test prep book for 2008 is $2 while the 2010 book is $15. No big deal... just curious...
If you add-on a CFI-G (glider) rating to your existing CFI then that will renew your CFI certificate for 24-calander months but it may be more if the add-on rating practical test is accomplished in the first part of the 4-calander month renewal window that I described in my prior post. But in any case, if you renew by the add-on rating for CFI-G that must involve a flight in the glider or it's not the practical test. The add-on CFI ratings may be administered by a Flight Instructor DPE, it's not necessary to use the FSDO for the add-on ratings.

Regarding the dates of the updates for the various CFI written tests, I have no knowledge of that.

My vote goes to GLEIM. quick and easy. Have them file it too, for a couple extra bucks.

My vote goes to GLEIM. quick and easy. Have them file it too, for a couple extra bucks.

I've heard good things about GLEIM. My question is this: How long in actual hours at the computer terminal does it take to complete their renewal course?

And, do other programs take the same amount of time? I think I'd be interested in the course that gets me through in the fastest time.

Does anyone know which on-line program will allow a person to get through the program the fastest.

Also, if you've taken the on-line course before, can you save the answer sheets so the next time will be even quicker and easier?

I've heard good things about GLEIM. My question is this: How long in actual hours at the computer terminal does it take to complete their renewal course?

And, do other programs take the same amount of time? I think I'd be interested in the course that gets me through in the fastest time.

Does anyone know which on-line program will allow a person to get through the program the fastest.

Also, if you've taken the on-line course before, can you save the answer sheets so the next time will be even quicker and easier?

When I renew, i keep the PDF study guide open and whip through the answers. You can finish it all in a few hrs.

How fast it takes is up to you. definitely NOT 16 hours.

IOWs, its as close to cheating as you can get.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back