Best way to get to Atlas / Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not knocking ABEX (or anyone else)...

...but I don't believe in "rock solid security" anymore.

One day at a time brother.

furloughfodder said:
1. FedEx
2. UPS
3. Polar
4. World
5. NCA
6. Atlas
7. Cathay
8. JAL
9. Evergreen
10. Kalitta
I agree with this list

wheelsup said:
How did you get those numbers? Pulling directly off of the matrix, a UPS 7 year FO makes $107/hr like you stated, with a MONTHLY guarantee of 81 hours.

An Atlas 7 year FO makes $110/hr based on a 62 hour MONTHLY guarantee. Converting that figure to a 81 hour guarantee you get $84.19/hr.

A difference of over $22,000/yr just in base salary alone. Add to that UPS's 1% A fund and 11% B fund, and it's not just chump change, IMO. And that doesn't even touch QOL issues (which honestly I know nothing about between the two companies).

~wheelsup

I suppose it depends on what you want to do? I have no illusions about Atlas/Polar, but let me tell you people should have none about Fedex & UPS either.

At Atlas/Polar will you....
Be gone 16+ days/mo? Yep!
Will your schedule in those 16+ days be (ahem) flexible? Yep!
Will the future be uncertain? Hey this is the airline biz baby of course!
Will you fly the backside of the clock? Only sometimes, but you will see the sun!
Will you ride sidesaddle for an undetermined time period? Absolutly not!
Will you earn a good paycheck? Uh, Huh better than most and better than that if you trade ur time 4 cash (not a fan)!
Is there a retirement? No!

At Fedex/UPS will you....
Be gone 16+ days/mo? Its possible senority IS everything there!
Will your schedule in those 16+ days be (ahem) flexible? Probably not!
Will the future be uncertain? Hey this is the airline biz baby of course! No company in this biz is indestructible don't believe it ask a Delta Capt !
Will you fly the backside of the clock? Most certainly! They maybe scheduled, but that is night freight! Think airnet w/ better pay/bennies & bigger planes.
Will you ride sidesaddle for an undetermined time period? It is definately possible.
Will you earn a good paycheck? Absolutely best in the biz right now.
Is there retirement? Yes, Today!?

I will also tell you I enjoy the flying over here emmensely. It is challenging on different levels on different days. The plane is great! Not cause its "the Whale", but because it is an incredibly powerful serious performer. Also Most of the 400s are fairly new (certainly as opposed to UPS).

Whatever the case my advice is have a great experience in this life! It is too short. Chasing a "dream job" is just a fantasy (anyone prove I'm lying in the long run). Enjoy the ride!

Bman

PS
An internal reccomendation is a must have item, as it will almost certainly grant you an interview.

Last edited:
Uh, Ups just ordered 8 brand new 747-400s and 10 A-380s. Most newhires are going straight to the 75/76. We are about to get a sigificant pay raise. Somewhere between 25 and 40%. The posters on these boards are venting because the contract is up in the air right now. Most UPS guys fly less than 200 hours a year and have a lot of free time to bitch.

I forgot ABX too. They actually may be the best place to be. Their Riverside hub just opened and they are buying airplanes. From what I hear, DHL is teasing them with all of their international flying. That would get their seniority list moving pretty quickly.

bman said:
Whatever the case my advice is have a great experience in this life! It is too short. Chasing a "dream job" is just a fantasy (anyone prove I'm lying in the long run). Enjoy the ride!

No truer words have ever been written on Flightinfo.

Jurassic Jet said:
And then there is always ABEX who didn't make anybodys list (yet).

7 Yr. 767 F/O is at $143 per hour with a 65 hour guarantee. Backing into it converting that number to a 75 hour guarantee still brings it to $123.93 per hour.

Granted, ABEX does not have the rock solid security as a UPS or FEDEX, but the pay is nothing to just blow off.

All good, but when are you guys going to start hiring?

Reebo said:
All good, but when are you guys going to start hiring?

That's what I'm saying. ABX is at the top of my list, but they haven't hired in years and I don't know anyone on the inside. Let's hope the rumors about hiring starting next year are true.

I certainly mean no disrespect to any pilot group out there by stating this. But I remember Polar fired -- not furloughed -- fired their probationary pilots during negotiations this summer. These guys didn't even take part in the strike vote as far as I know. They were just used as pawns. That's a pretty slimy thing to do to a person who comes to a company in good faith and has a family to support.

Now ALPA may have gotten their jobs back with retro pay, but still the situation is totally lame.

And the management that did this is still running Polar, no?

Again, no disrespect intended. This is obviously not directed at any pilot group.

Totally correct Goggles, AAWH management decides on Polar or Atlas's fate and these games will continue ALPA or no ALPA every time Atlas or PO goes back to the negotiating table... I think you're giving ALPA way too much credit. Mgmt fired the probationaries to scare the group during the "cooling off period" and ALPA didn't do much to enforce what should have been a status quo, at least during those 30 days. We will only have "some" leverage once we merge IF that ever happens...

Latest resources

Back