Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Hi, Honest question here for some of you professional reserve pilots...

Last fall I got hired by a legacy major and I live in base. Even though I could hold a block schedule, I'm choosing to bid reserve because I only get called a couple times a month. in 2008 I've probably only flown about 200 hours!!! Sure I could make more money with a block, but this is the best QOL that I've known in the past decade I've been flying 121. I'm fine with living on guarantee, and I hope to be a professional reservist for a while. I'm getting to do all the hobbies and fun things that I've been putting off while chasing my dream job.

So herein lies my dilemma... Many of my non-aviation friends and even my family who have been with me my whole aviation career are growing extremely jealous and resentful that I am getting paid good money to "sit on my arse and goof off all day."

Last night I even got into a major argument with my brother about how he busts his butt M-F at his office, often staying late to meet deadlines, etc. only to see me being "CEO of the sofa all day long." At least thats what he refers it as. He says its just not fair.

I've been having trouble trying to explain and justify what reserve means to my friends. I know you guys all know what its about, How do you deal with your friends and family that resent your "easy street" lifestyle?

The best analogy I can think of is saying that every airline needs reserves like every city needs a fire department. Much of the time both a pilot and firefighter sit around waiting for a call. Everyone knows what a firefigter does. I say that a reserve pilot is similar in the respect that when there is bad weather, diversions, sick calls, ect that us reserve guys go fix the problem by being extra staffing. I then add that we are like an insurance policy for the airline to keep an ontime schedule and completion factor high... eveyone hates paying the premiums, but when something happens you are sure glad you have it.

Well, thats about all I can think of for a good way to explain my "laziness" how have you guys positively dealt with this topic in the past?

The best analogy I can think of is saying that every airline needs reserves like every city needs a fire department. Much of the time both a pilot and firefighter sit around waiting for a call. Everyone knows what a firefigter does. I say that a reserve pilot is similar in the respect that when there is bad weather, diversions, sick calls, ect that us reserve guys go fix the problem by being extra staffing. I then add that we are like an insurance policy for the airline to keep an ontime schedule and completion factor high... eveyone hates paying the premiums, but when something happens you are sure glad you have it.

Sounds like you have summed it up pretty well there. You are flying for a good company that is well staffed, and if the staffing levels dropped your QOL would drop as well. I know many of our reserve pilots block 70-80hrs/mo and that doesnt include the deadheading or shifts sitting airport standby 8hrs at a time. Tell your friends that you do have a great QOL now, but you have put in your time and spent years flying crappy schedules in order to make it to the point you are at today. Congrats and enjoy!

The best part of reserve is you never have to set the alarm clock.

Everybody chooses his own lot in life. Your brother sounds like a real tool if he can not be happy with your few remaining benefits of aviation life.

Tell your brother that any person with a normal IQ can finish their tasks in a normal business day. Most studies show that less intelligent people take longer to finish normal tasks.

Is his wife cute? Maybe one of your "CEO" airline buddies could hit on her and say you gave him her phone number.

Do it, let me know how the Jerry Springer Xmas goes :nuts:

I usually envy my friends and neighbors too. Many times I imagine how nice it would be to sleep in 2 more hours until 6:30 am.

Your brother sounds like a real tool if he can not be happy with your few remaining benefits of aviation life.

Normally he is not a tool, I'm pretty sure that jealousy got the better of him last night.

I just get frustrated when people have the idea that this reserve gig is too good to be true, and you can just tell that they think you should be doing an honest days work for an honest days pay. Reality is that I don't know how sitting reserve is not an honest way to make a living...

Yeah, we are well staffed for now, but things can an will change... I'll have to add that caveat to my explanations from now on too!

I'll take a line with minimum days off over Reserve anyday.

To each his own, but I don't like my phone ringing at all hours of the day and night with someone on the other end telling me to jump and how high...But, I have Power and Control issues, so that's just me.

Tell your family members it's like this:

- On Reserve, I AM working. I can't go too far from home in case my phone rings and they need me.

- I can't make plans for events with any certainty, because I don't know if I will get called that day or the night before to go run around the country.

- I can't pull the front end outta' the truck and work on it, like you might on a real day off, because they could call me at anytime and I'd have no way to get there.

- Hell, I can't even go to a good movie, or out to dinner, with any degree of comfort, because I am on call.

- I offer my services on these reserve days, and adjust my lifestyle to acommadate them...That is work.

- If It appears that I am doing nothing, it is only because they don't have something, but at anytime they could have anything, for me to do.

- Is a day off really a day off....If you don't know it's a day off until its over?

Then, just proceed to get violently inebriated ( provided you are not on Reserve ) and start a huge Family argument complete with throwing food and hurling insults you can never rescind.

That outta' shut em' up. :)

Love,

YKMKR

P.S. - One of my favorite lines: " I have worked very hard to be this lazy. You could have too. Why didn't you? "

Last edited:
Stop trying to explain it. Instead go across town and find a hot girlfriend, and then tell your wife and friends that you are now a line holder and are stuck doing 5 day trips and working all weekends.

Latest resources

Back