• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best View Limiting Device?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't buy any "foggles". Just buy a pair of safety glasses that have the same frames as foggles, tape off the clear area and spray the rest black. I can't see any reason to pay over $20 for the ready made version.

foggles

One of my instructors had a pair of "improved" foggles, with extra opaque tape on the sides to further limit the side view. If you are really not trying to cheat, the peripheral "peeks" you get inadvertently are disorienting to me.

That said, I really like the Jeppshades. Easy transition to vfr for landing/low pass or circling approach. Took my instrument ride with them and the examiner didn't say a word. I find them harder to "cheat" with than the foggles.

I bought one of those two days ago. If your hat size is greater than 7 1/2 then it is too small.

I dont know how big your head is, but I have used these all throughout my 141 training and i have heard no complaints small heads or big heads. The elastic seems to fit all. :cool:

It hinders my see and avoid a bit, so I just lean forward in the seat. I can see most of the sky that way np.

Another vote for Jepp shades, pretty easy to flip-up at DH/MDA and they fit pretty well (provided you're not a meat-head like me, then it can be a lil' painfull around the temples), but not nearly as uncomfortable as Foggles. My DE actually said he preferred Jepps over anything else. As far as cheating, I did most of my training in IMC or at night, so that wasn't a factor. You can peak out to the side, but it only disorients you more.

Jepp Shades...Definately Jepp Shades. Foogles are okay But I can't imagine hauling one of those giant super hoods into a cockpit. What were they thinking when they made those??? Ever heard of cockpit management? You 'mide as well put on your favorite mascots' costume head and do hood work. I'd imagine yanking one of those off at DH is about as difficult as it is with the giant grey hood.

With Jepp Shades...Flip up, VFR...Flip down, IFR, no questions.

I find them harder to "cheat" with than the foggles.

You mean people cheat when doing simulated??? :D

I use foggles. Easy to handle and do the job. Sure gets your attention when you turn into the sun and the bright light on the translucent part gives you some serious white out.

That black paint on safety shades idea may have more than a little merit if for that alone.

Jeppshades

IMO Jeppshades are the best. I've tried several others and found them to be the best. I recommend them to my students and have used them myself on Part 135 check rides.

As far as cheating goes, The Francis hood is good but it gave me motion sickness when I tried it. Map in the window works best. I had a student who was perfect on ILS's under the hood only to totally blow it when I put a map on his side.

In the end cheaters will wash themselves out either on a SIM or hopefully not... in real life.

I've tried a few, but liked the JeppShades best.

If you wear glasses though, they need to be quite small, but I was fine with them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back