best uniform shirt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetstream....

I tried the Vanhusen, I also tried the Wings 50/50 but my favorite so far that survives the Freight Dog enviroment without a hitch are the Jetstream by Ebeco which suprisingly are 65 poly 35 combed cotton. Very comfortable and you can geth them out of the dryer, hang it and not have to do the ironing thingy usung a hotel iron that often gets your shirt all dirty.

Pants....

I purchased a 2 pants almost 2.2 years ago from a place in Chicago called BASSO uniforms 773-646-2332. The pants are reinforced really well. Although a bit pricey 77.00 for a pair I have had the 2 for 2.2 years and they are still holding up on a freight dog enviroment. Other doggies buy theirs at JC Penney at 30.00. But I'm happy with the quality from BASSO. I've had from Tally HO and from The Field Shops. Same price but can't compare to the quality.

Carlos

I thought I could avoid getting involved in this discussion, but am giving in to temptation.

I have tried numerous different epaulet shirts in the past 11 years. I started out with the Van Huesen Aviatiors, but with the 65% poly content, it was a little like wearing a plastic bag in the summer. The Stop Over Store in MSP used to sell their own brand of 60% cotton broadcloth shirts that I loved. The last time I checked, they had stopped carrying them, though. Lately I have taken a shine to the Wings brand shirts from the Pilot House. They have 60% cotton, feel great, and iron up crisp.

Unless you are a big airplane Captain who never gets underneath an airplane, I would avoid 100% cotton shirts. ANY grease or oil you get on them will be documented forever in the exact place the contact took place. One sweaty summer afternoon will make an all cotton shirt look like you slept in it, as well.

I'm still looking for decent - looking, sturdy, reasonably priced uniform pants. The original Greiff pants I got while at ALG 11 years ago were decent, but the last decent ones I witnessed for eight years. Lion Apparel took over and managed to force us to pay $75 a pair for poorly constructed, guaranteed to shrink, pieces of crap. Finally, at UFS we had uniforms produced by Murphy and Hartelius (M&H), which, while expensive, were great. I have bought several other pairs to replace old ones, but without the company discount I pay like $80 a pair. ATA uses Tally Ho for their uniform stuff. I bought one pair under duress as a new hire - a total POS. The first time I wore them, the azz seam came out of them (and I had lost a fair amount of weight since getting them tailored). Not one reinforced seam, cheesy material, and bizarre fitting. Any info on uniform pants meeting the previously stated requirements would be appreciated.

Uniform Pants and Shirts

I bought some dark blue trousers at Penney's in Vero shortly after I got on with FSI. They held up well after many weekly washings in the local coin-op.

I still have a set of Dockers that I bought for flying ten years ago. Still look okay. Don't fit as well, though my weight is the same.

While on the subject of shirts, don't buy from Sporty's. I bought some blue shirts from them while at FlightSafety. They might have been a 65-45 mix, but were gross in the heat.

I like Mookie's epaulet sweater-Russian sub comment. :)

As far as pants go, I really like the look and fit of the SLATES. Nice cuffed bottom and never need ironing. You can find them at any JC Penny, Nordstrom, etc. I think they're around $65 a pair and only come in dark navy blue as far as I know. They're kind of thin for winter time flying but perfect for summer. Geez I'm starting to sound like a salesman..........

Slates are deffinatly the way to go

Ive been wearing Slates for more than 4 years. They hold up great, look sharp, dont fade and you can get them for 49 bucks at JC Pennys on sale. They come in lots of colors and fabric combinations too. They are light weight but they got me through several winters in Wyoming.

landerwood pilot shirts get my vote. I have had crewgear and van heusen and I like the landerwood the best. The tails are longer than the Van heusen. do your VH come untucked right at the side of your waist?? I hate that.

If price is no object, I suggest using a custom tailor in Hong Kong to make some for you in your choice of fabric. I have used Ascott Chang for over 20 years for my shirts. I use their 50% Dacron/Cotton blend that is much better than poly. I do not recommend the 100% cotton as it wrinkles too easy.

Price is around $85 per shirt, but they last 10x longer than regular uniform shirts. You can order by faxing your measurements to them and turn around is a few days.

A less expensive, but very good, alternative is Sam's Tailor in HK.

Ascott Chang

Sam's Tailor

Latest resources

Back