Best Sunglasses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetflyer22

I am currently using a pair of Revo's with a polarized lens. As most of you know under certain light conditions, some glass instruments can not be seen. So off they come followed by the inevitable squint.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Walmart $14.99 sunglasses are great. They are non polarized and work well, besides if you lose them or break them there is a Walmart near you.

Walmart $14.99 sunglasses are great. They are non polarized and work well, besides if you lose them or break them there is a Walmart near you.

I like my polarized glasses in the airplane and everywhere else. The only think that I may have problems with is the FMS which requires a slight head angle change to see well. If you are having problems with your flight instruments maybe you could get some of those fancy driving/flying glasses I see in the catalogs.

Don't buy the cheap ones as they are BAD for your eyes. You want glasses with UV protection. Then cheap ones cause your pupil to dilate and allow the bad rays in.

Get some cheap non polarized (or polarized and see the rainbow) you will break them eventually.

I have been using Tinted safety glasses they work great and can get a box of them from my local carpenters/Longshoreman's union store for about $20.00 or less. If your not in a union you can find someone that is that will pick you up a box if avaiable in your area. The ones my father gets from the docks are very stylish (Look Like Highend Sunglasses) and very durable.

Oh, UV protection is mandatory by most union bylaws or what ever if being used outdoors in this litigious society they don't want to have to pay for someones eyes.

Last edited:
Oh, UV protection is mandatory by most union bylaws or what ever if being used outdoors in this litigious society they don't want to have to pay for someones eyes.

Was there a coherent thought in there somewhere?

Sunglasses will help protect your eyes, but will also make traffic acuisition easier, and improve contrast agaisnt like backgrounds such as cloud layers or snow. A good pair of sunglasses is a good investment. The difference in quality between cheap glasses and good, brand name glasses is significant. You may not even be aware of what you're missing without them.

Your eyes are one of your most valueable assets in the cockpit, and key to your career. Protect them well.

The difference in quality between cheap glasses and good, brand name glasses is significant. You may not even be aware of what you're missing without them.

Avbug Can you prove this? Please show data please!

Your eyes are one of your most valueable assets in the cockpit, and key to your career. Protect them well.

Yes, I agree! Very valuable sense I or anyone else would hate to lose! Now how do we stop age related macular degeneration?

The difference between cheap glasses and expensive one is huge. Even if you don't believe that there is a difference in UV protection, just go outside on a sunny day with both and wear them one after the other. The optical quality difference is huge. I prefer glass lenses myself because of scratch resistance.

If you care, which I think you do because you're asking the question, get some quality glasses. I don't necissarily one brand is better than the next. Just go to the store and try a bunch on.

I like all that Check6 recommended except the Oaks. Don't leave Revo off you list.

I thought the best sunglasses i ever saw were in Terminator 3 - when Arnold took the clothes from the guy in the gay bar, now don't get confused with the scene from T-I where he took the Ray Bans from the biker dude. I'm talking about the star shaped Elton John style ones with the Rhinestones on them. I loved those glasses so much I bought a pair just like them at the flea market in Sunrise Florida, all of you have to experience the flea market some day, but that's another story for another day. Anyway I flew with them for years, I got a lot of stares from other envious pilots but I always tried not to gloat, like I was cooler than all of them. I was really disappointed one day when I dropped them on the ramp at KFLL and some nit-wit line guy stepped on them just llike the Terminator did in T-3. I was upset but thought it was kind of cool like I and the Terminator shared some sort of kinship as our glasses met similar demises. Anyway just pick a pair of glasses that you feel comfortable wearing and don't let the pressure to fit in guide your purchase. Gosh I miss those glasses......

Latest resources

Back