Best-soundin planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DC-6's rank pretty high on the list.

Also a C-207 taking off at -30C with a heavy load. For some reason the extreeme temps really change the prop noise.

I'm gonna hafta side with shawn on this one. The best sounding plane i've flown was a Grob 103, after I'd released the tow.

I do like the sound of an R-2800...sounds like money in my pocket.

Crash-proof,

The queen-airs I've seen had gso-540s. Did they make them with 480s too?

regards

Just plane noise...

Hmmmm,

Actually, I've always thought some of the coolest flying I've done was the ol' Schewiser (sp?) 232 glider back in college. The sound of the wind...cool!

Piston aircraft...I'd have to say a P-51 or P-38. Though I was in Reno in Sept 1991 when the Pond Racer was around. Talk about different sounding...

Jets (yes, I know, not originally in the thread)... actually, the B-1 is just plain LOUD!! We did close interval takeoffs at Nellis (both runways, 10 sec spacing) and it was like the sky was tearing open...

FastCargo

Yeah I was just telling someone the other day how those Twin Bo's sounded. I would imagine some older commander 520s would sound the same since they had the same engine with augmenter tube system.

Those didnt have cowl flaps. They exhaust went into an bigger tube, and apparently the purpose was just to suck in even more air into the engine and out that tube, and that helped make that deep throaty noise

Last edited:
Anything with a round engine.

But I think the Twin Beech has a sound of its own, but noisy inside!

I would have to say that nothing burning jet-a sounds good but, a Dash-8 going over at about 3000 ft at vmo in a descent has a strange sound also, kind of neat.

I think the tops for me is is hearing a Lancaster, nothing but WOW!

LR25

DC6: Lowest, Slowest, Loudest

R-2800s are throaty. But I really dig the sound of a P38 making a high speed, low-pass.

<shiver>

I make sexing while drink! Jimbo have day off and I drink and I sex all your moms you sucks. I plane sound best like Corvette, like when I fly a Cessna and fart real loud!!!!!

What, no helicopters?

Not an airplane, but I still love the sound that a UH-1 Huey makes when you start to run the engine up to full RPM.

Manliest: a B-58 Hustler in full afterburner,

Coolest: F4U Corsair in a high speed dive (Whistling Death),

Most unusual: anything with a WW1-era rotary engine such as a Sopwith Camel (the kind where the whole cylinder bank rotates with the prop)..the spinning cooling fins make a really weird noise.

Any thing with a Wright R3350 hung off the firewall - specifically, Lyle Shelton's Rare Bear (I grew up on air racing).

Breaking the "no jets" rule, F-4s in a full AB takeoff are great! The Air Guard in my hometown flew the recce versions until the mid-90s and I miss them dearly.

Latest resources

Back